I hit a concrete block with my SS prop...

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I went on the river and it was really high. This was the first time I launched out of this launch and I didnt know there was concrete blocks on each side of the launch because the water was so high. So I went to the launch to pick someone up and sure enough I smacked the SS prop into one of the concrete blocks. The motor stopped dead. I took a look at the prop, not too bad, I filed the burrs off of it and it didnt look bad at all. At WOT everything seems fine, then if I tilt the drive up a little bit while at WOT to get another 10mph out of it, it just doesnt seem right. There seems to be a slight and very consistant vibration.
What could have happened? Should I pull the prop off and have someone balance it? I will post pics later.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: I hit a concrete block with my SS prop...

A bent blade will cause vibration. You need to remove it and send it to a prop shop for repairs. You can run your spare in the meantime. (you do have a spare, right?)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Also you should check the propshaft for indications of a bent shaft. I have hit a lot of stuff and bent some SS props pretty badly and never had a bent shaft, but it is possible and checking the run-out would confirm.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

+1 have the prop repaired and rebalanced. It's doubtful you bent the shaft or you'd have vibration all the time, but would be worth checking it for peace of mind.