Need to replace prop and have a ? about hubs

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
I have a new to me 17' Ranger Multispecies boat with a 1990 Johsonson GT100 engine which runs pretty well for my needs. I have fixed a multitude of small issues with it and now I am turning my attention to the prop. It's currently an aluminum 13x19 3 blade and it's pretty nicked up. BEfore I launched it this year I hit it with an angle sander and got rid of the sharp edges on the nicks although I'm not sure about the balance on it. Truth be told, it looks like it doesn't owe anyone anything at this point. LOTS of small nicks like it hit more than a few stones in shallow water.

Anyhow, I'm looking at all the props available here thru iboats and wondered a few things. First, since there's a 13x19 on it now, should I stick with that spec? I get about 40MPH out of it and that's more than enough for me on that little boat. I've got a lot of speed toys and this is NOT one of them. I'm most interested in limiting cavitation and RPM flaring and also trolling speed, so I guess I want the opposite of what most people do and could care less about top speed.

I'm thinking of getting a SS prop for durability sake. I don't plan on dredging the bottom but if I'm going to spend some more money on this rig I'd like to get a decent one. Do the hubs come with these props? I see some which give a separate part # for the hub and I'm not sure if that also needs to be purchased? I don't want to use the hub that on the current prop, it'll be the "spare" I keep on the boat since I don't have one.

Also, for what my needs are, is there any advantage to a 4-blade? When trolling, which will troll slower, the 3 or the 4? I have a Happy Troller on the back which works ok with the setup I have but slower is better for me.

Thanks in advance forf any help fellas.

Brian.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need to replace prop and have a ? about hubs

Assuming the top rpm was correct with the 19 aluminum you could go with a 17 ss prop. That's further assuming you won't be changing the motor height. If you're willing to dial in the height you could probably go with a 19 in stainless.

As for the hubs, most props today are square bore props and you simply put in the proper hub kit. Your V4 OMC uses a 13 spline OMC style kit. Older props may have the old style pressed in rubber hub.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need to replace prop and have a ? about hubs

Assuming the top rpm was correct with the 19 aluminum you could go with a 17 ss prop. That's further assuming you won't be changing the motor height. If you're willing to dial in the height you could probably go with a 19 in stainless.

As for the hubs, most props today are square bore props and you simply put in the proper hub kit. Your V4 OMC uses a 13 spline OMC style kit. Older props may have the old style pressed in rubber hub.

I'm not sure about the RPM and it's correct value as I don't have a tach installed on the boat as of yet. I'd assume it's ok, since it appears this is a factory spec prop, but again, I'm not looking for top speed being any better than it already is. I don't want to mess with the position of the motor at all.

I'm gleaning from you that an equivalent prop to what I have now but in SS is a pitch value lower at 17?