Walleye or Bass boat?

NebFisher

Recruit
I am currently looking to buy my first boat, but I am looking for some advice. I've been getting a lot of different opinions on the type that I need. It will be for fishing, but I don't know if I should go for a bass boat or a walleye boat.

I've had some people tell me that a bass boat would be able to go out onto Lake Okoboji or Otter Tail without any problems with the wakes there, but a few others have told me that's a recipe for a boating disaster. Which side is right? I don't plan on going out to lakes that are that large often (I plan on sticking to the I-80 lakes, many of which are 500 acres or less), but it would be nice for a fishing getaway now and then.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Walleye or Bass boat?

First bit of advice. This forum is about fishing tackle and techniques.

You will get more and better advice in the Boat topics Forum where I am about to move this.

My vote is for the walleye boat. Good luck. :)

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Bass Boat makes a good,,, Bass boat. To my mind, a "Walleye Boat" is more versatile.

But "Walleye boat" is a term that covers a lot of ground.

You might also consider something like a Seaark pro cat.

NebFisher

Recruit

By Walleye boat I mean something on the lines of an Alumacraft Dominator...a Deep V style boat.

CATransplant

Admiral

My vote would be for the walleye boat. Lots better in rough water, and much more versatile as a boat.

thompy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

we don't see many bass boat here on Lake Michigan, lots of walleye boats, had a tournament last summer and a bass boat barely made it back to the launch, in the rough weather, his transom cracked open.
i worked part time for Yar-Craft building sweet walleye boats, just to get to know the boat building process, but if it was my money it would be a bass boat:rolleyes:

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

My vote is Bass boat. Its more maneuverable in shallow water, it handles the wind better while fishing (Slower drift) Its faster and can out run bad weather better. Bad side is it doesn't handle rough water as well. Anything over about 3ft swells and your asking for trouble. If only fishing BIG water every now and then just watch the weather close.

You need to figure out what you want to do in this boat? Obviously fishing is one thing. Do you plan to pleasure boat around with family/friends? Do you plan to pull water skiers or tubes?

You need to go sit in a few of these boats too. Go to the dealer and climb up in there. Imagine some of the multiple purposes you'll be using the boat for and gauge which ones feel better to you.

I bought an Alumacraft Navigator last year because I use it for all of the activities above. A bass boat was too activity-specific for my needs.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

go for the deep v hull, it will be more versitile :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

By Walleye boat I mean something on the lines of an Alumacraft Dominator...a Deep V style boat.

Alumacraft Dominator isn't that a crappie boat :D oh wait catfish boat.... could not resist :rolleyes:

Absolutely a great choice in my book. I have owned bass boats and V hulls and the V hull has much more ability..... If you get bored and just want to cruise or have fun that is the way to go

NYBo

Admiral

Bass boats are used on the Hudson and St. Lawrence rivers all the time, and those aren't exactly millponds. They can handle water as rough as I would want to be out on. That being said, they can also soak you to the skin and pulverize your kidneys when things get dicey, too. How about a fish & ski?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The Dominator allows you the option to be IN the boat.
With the bass boat, you are ON top of the boat.

When it comes down to it, I would rather be IN the boat, not On the boat, trying to balance against the waves all day. That can be very tiring, like trying to balance on top of a teeter totter all day.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...When it comes down to it, I would rather be IN the boat, not On the boat, trying to balance against the waves all day. That can be very tiring, like trying to balance on top of a teeter totter all day.

I 100% agree. A walleye boat can catch bass and although maybe a little more draft than a bass boat, it is much more versatile, dry, and good in a chop. Bass boats are a good platform for bass fishing, but don't give the same versatility and security that a walleye boat would for other pursuits. A walleye boat is typically propped ok to tow a tube, dry in big waves, etc.

You don't say where you are from- I assume Nebraska? I think you would find more joy in the walleye boat.

goombadi99

Cadet

I have owned both, I now have a tracker targa deep V, and I love it. I was in 16 inches of water with it this past week end, so i didnt lose any my my trusty fishing spots that i coould get to with my old bass boat. After a day of fishin was done I headed out onto the lake, (lake ontario) for a nice 2 hour cruise. Get the best of both worlds!!!!

nightprowler

Cadet

Not even close Walleye boat u can use it in rivers ,cooling lakes with kicker and the great lakes,

Lee J

Cadet

When I was looking for a boat, I had a list of everything I wanted to do with it. Bass fishing was the one thing that was completely changing the class of boat I need because it's not so much a boat as it is a casting platform with an engine to get you there. I've tried to bass fish from deep-V hull boats and when compared to fishing from a real bass boat, it just sucks.

My solution, remove the bass fishing from the list and if I really want to get into it, I'll join a local bass club as a non boater.

If you primarily bass fish, you might want to do just the opposite. None of the people I know with bass boats ever seem to want to do any other kind of fishing though, so there really is no wrong answer here. It's just nice to be out there.

CATransplant

Admiral

I dunno. I do pretty darned well with bass fishing, and my little 12' aluminum boat is about as far from a bass boat as you can get. In fact, there's a tournament on one of my favorite lakes coming up. I'm thinking about entering it, just to see if a guy in a little tinny can place well in such a thing. Now, I'll have to cobble up a livewell out of a big cooler, since I'm 100% catch and release, normally, but that's a no-brainer.

Whaddya think? Wouldn't it be fun to win a bass tournament from my boat?