Water shooting out of motor

acollins74

Cadet
1994 Mercury 75 HP.
Coming home this afternoon, i noticed my motor was sluggish as if I were driving a Stick Shift with a bad clutch. The motor seemed to be running fine but I couldn't hit top speeds and noticed the hot buzzer went of when I tried to WOT. Plenty of water coming out of pee hole as expected.
When I got home, i pulled the cap when i flushed the motor to check things out. Well in the rear of the motor water was squirting out of the side (head gasket?) as well as water was still coming out of the pee hole as expected.
I am thinking i blew the head gasket but I can't find anyone else that had a blown head gasket and also had plenty of water shooting out of the pee spout also.

Does this sound like my head gasket is blown/broken?
It seems fairly straight forward to pull that part of the motor but do not know the torque nor the order.
Also, I'm a little nervous of what caused the issue in the first place. I'm a noob to mechanics really but don't want to bring the boat in because I do not know which shop to take it over. Mostly marinas where I live and I don't have alot of cash. Thoughts?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Water shooting out of motor

get a manual...has all the info you need, also find out why it over heated..could be clogged water passage , t-stat, or water pump, i would fix/replace all 3.

acollins74

Cadet

replace all three!! Sparieboat, you must be a salesman.
Water pump is not the issue. Water is pumping fiercly and never has been clogged. Could be T-Stat but the question still remains. Why is water shooting out of the back of the motor. Could a bad head gasket be the cuprit if water is still coming out of the pee hole?

SparkieBoat

Captain

a water pump impeller is about $30, unless you just replaced it just do it for goodness sake. Just because you have water at the tell tale hole does not mean that you do not have a clog in the head/block, or that your water pump is in good shape. Do you have a water pressure gauge? you seem to have run your motor hot..just pray all you screwed up was the head...you seem to be one reluctant to do proper maintenance so you can expect many more problems with your boats. outboard motors require constant maintenance to run properly and avoid costly mistakes like not changing your water pump cause you still have water coming out of the tell hole.

saumon

Lieutenant

FYI, those triples don't have removeable heads, so there's no head gaskets.

I agree wit ?get a manual?, and a real OEM one, not a crappy Seloc.

BTW, where exactly is the water coming from? Any pics?

acollins74

Cadet

I?ll have to post a picture in the next day.
Verbal description. Looking at back of motor (staring at 3 plugs surrounded by ten or so bolts) directly to the right there is some sort of a gasket or seal between that piece and the rest of the motor. Water is squirting out around this seal vigorously when running.
{gotcha on the manual gentleman, I?ll put in an order for one.}

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your cylinder block cover gasket is shot.Fairly common to have to replace.It will take you about an hour to remove the bolts, clean the mating surfaces and reassemble.The gasket will run you around 8 bucks from mercury.While you have it off,inspect the area for any chunks of impellers that may have made their way up over the years.

saumon

Lieutenant

Sorry, my mistake, they don't have a head cover but they do have a water cover and that gasket part # is MM-27430057 @ 12$

acollins74

Cadet

I checked the parts image and that is it. The water is spraying around that gasket there is no doubt. Thank you.
I am ordering a new one and will apply it as soon as it comes.
Thank you for helping me, i will post my progress.

I am really hoping that the gasket is the only thing wrong and i don't 'learn' more when i pop it open.

I was thinking I might as well replace the thermostat since i'm in a salt water only running environment. It has been two years since the thermostat has been replaced.

Bondo

Staff member

since i'm in a salt water only running environment. I am really hoping that the gasket is the only thing wrong and i don't 'learn' more when i pop it open.

Ayuh,... I'm bettin' it'll be a Learnin' experince, being a Saltwater motor....

SparkieBoat

Captain

why not go ahead and replace water pump impeller also?? and change gear case oil

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Ayuh,... I'm bettin' it'll be a Learnin' experince, being a Saltwater motor....
Arggghhhh ... snap ... sheeeet.. Arghhhh .... snap .... sheeeeet... Vroooommm.....screech.... beep beep... screach.... Welcome to Grand Auto, can I help you sir,, Errr yes, do you carry Heli-Coil.

acollins74

Cadet

I went ahead and bought an easy out and was expecting to get the gasket today. Turns out my guaranteed 3 day shipping is going to be 7 days and the part is ETA Cinco De mayo.
I went ahead and tried a few bolts today and don't see that I will have any issues there.
One question, when I put in the gasket, should I put some sort of silicon on there too? Any suggestions appreciated.

acollins74

Cadet

The gasket was installed without too many issues. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. Water is still spraying out of the starboard side of the motor.
As far as I could tell, the metal is straight.
I put the gasket and cap back on with No glues or solvents or silicones.
Any additional suggestions?

section8

Petty Officer 2nd Class

some people here are using rtv gasket stuff for that water application and they all had success. find other posts on this problem and read their story. same problems arise in all motor brands so you can get ideas from those forum categories too. sounds like maybe blockage somewhere is blowing water out there instead of where it should go. too much pressure on that gasket?maybe maybe not. looks soooo easy to hook up a pressure guage!

acollins74

Cadet

I found the issue. After taking the cylinder cover off again. I see a small hole down on the right. I can feel it with my finger and its half the size of a dime. All of the electrical stuff is directly to the right of the whole and the hole is not easily accessible.
I plan on mending the hole with some sort of epoxy. I see many people have had success with JB Weld. Will JB Weld hold up with the water and heat over time. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions so far.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I found the issue. After taking the cylinder cover off again. I see a small hole down on the right. I can feel it with my finger and its half the size of a dime. All of the electrical stuff is directly to the right of the whole and the hole is not easily accessible.
I plan on mending the hole with some sort of epoxy. I see many people have had success with JB Weld. Will JB Weld hold up with the water and heat over time. Any other suggestions?
Thanks for all of the help and suggestions so far.

I had a block like that once. It's what's known as a sand hole where the sand from casting gets trapped inside the casting. If it is completely encapsulated you'll never have a problem but if just one grain of sand is exposed eventually it opens up and you end up with a hole.. Make sure you blow it out really well, use the JB weld according to your plan and you'll be back in business in no time. I TIG welded mine but it's not necessary.