More water pump drama

adracer

Cadet
I recently bought a used 1997 Yamaha 80 hp C80TLRV. It cranked up quickly but (there's always the but) but it was barely peeing, really just dripping and the engine began surging. Ruling out prostate issues I figured I'd check a few items. First checked to make sure nothing was clogging the pee line and it was clear. Next I removed the thermostat housing and promptly broke off the two top bolts. I removed the thermostat housing and there was no thermostat to be found. Drilled out and retapped the two 6mm bolts and moved on from there. Ordered new thermostat housing, bolts, thermostat, popoff, gaskets, and a water pump kit. So after ordering that I removed the foot and discovered a missing trim tab and a badly corroded water tube so I ordered those. So today I removed the water pump and found the mpeller looked pretty good but the bottom water pump housing was extremely deteriorated to the point that you could see the shaft on both the intake and discharge side. It was also full of corrosion/salt residue. I sprayed it down with PB and went back later to remove. When I tapped on it it broke off leaving the part containing the two seals in the lower unit housing. Utilizing BFH and small chisel I was able to get the remainder of the water pump housing and the two seals out. I've ordered all of these. OK now for the questions.
Has anyone encountered such a thing? Can I safely spray water up the water tube (with the foot off) with the engine running to see if the thing is gonna pee or if I yet have some blockage or other issue? Maybe it does have an enlarged prostate. Some help please.:confused:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: More water pump drama

you should be able to run water up the tube to check for blockage while not even running the motor. Even with the thermostat housing off to see flow that way also

adracer

Cadet
Re: More water pump drama

Thanks for the answer. I've read here that a blown head gasket can prevent peeing. Is this so and if so will a simple compression test reveal the problem. Is 10% tolerance between cylinders acceptable?