Setting Timing question on 1990 Force 120hp???

pwilke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When the motor is idling in a test tank in neutral which mark should the stationary timing mark be hitting on the flywheel or where should it be landing (if in/between marks is the correct area). On the flywheel it has the TDC mark and to the left the other 3 grouped marks.
Trying to get it timed, don't want to mess something up. thanks for your help.

Update: OK, from reading here is what I did. I took out the 4 plugs, connected them all to spark testers and grounded the leads, put the motor in WOT, turned key on, jumped the starter and while it spun adjusted the stationary timing mark to 28* or the 1st mark to the left of the TDC mark in the 3 mark series. Is this OK? thanks for any input.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Setting Timing question on 1990 Force 120hp???

Flywheel rotates clockwise. First mark to the left of long line on flywheel is 32. first mark to the right is 28.

Where you have it now will probably give 34 while running. Just a little too far advanced. Forces were always at 30 and older Chryslers were at 32

pwilke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Setting Timing question on 1990 Force 120hp???

The book says in order to attain 30* timing while the engine is actually running you must set timing cranking w/WOT speed at 28*, Am I OK where I set it at the 28*? moving it over to the 30*(center mark) will advance it even more won't it? thanks