Shifting Problems

katadin1972

Recruit
I just put my boat in the lake. It is a 1979 Silerline Nantucket with a mercruiser 228. I noticed it shifted hard to reverse when I left the dock. I motered 11 mile across Sebago lake fine at about 35 miles per hour. I got set up to fish and the boat would not shift into forward gear. Shifter control moved fine and I could hear it clickeing on top of the motor to go into forwar gear, but would not engage. Reverse however worked fine. ANy Ideas?

Any help would be greatly welcomed. Thank you

Shawn

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shifting Problems

were you able to see if the linkages were moving. or might be your lower shift cable has failed...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Has any work been done on the outdrive, like removing it, or changing the impeller or anything or __________ ?

katadin1972

Recruit

Has any work been done on the outdrive, like removing it, or changing the impeller or anything or __________ ?

Nope. It ran fine last week, well it did seem to shift hard once last week.

katadin1972

Recruit

were you able to see if the linkages were moving. or might be your lower shift cable has failed...

Linkages were moving. I did notice that the clear tube that goes into the top of the shifting linkage did not have any fulid in it. and also the boat bilge filled with water and the power stearing pump fulid water pink and watery. ???