What is this on stator wiring?

robinfla52

Cadet
Mercury 1988 Classic Fifty 45 hp. This part looks overheated and slightly melted. No spark. Tested stator and trigger. Seems OK

Attachments

• UnknownPart.jpg
    UnknownPart.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0

robinfla52

Cadet
Re: What is this on stator wiring?

I checked voltage and ohm readings. But don't really care about that for now. I'm really interested in what is in the picture. More than likely, that is a major problem being burned up and melted. From one end there is green with white stripe and white with green stripe. Other side is blue/white and another wire I forget the color right now. I have a mercury manual, but not much info on Classic Fifty

what is that part and can you tell me what the readings were did you use a DVA to check the voltage?

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

that part is the crappy module that goes with the crappy stator merc put out to replace all NLA stators . when the module gets heated like that it's either switchbox or stator going usually stator because those ones are notorious for failures right into the mid 90's motors . your gonna do the stator - check if the flywheel magnets are bolted in - if so use CDI part # 17405454k1- if it has glued in magnets - post your serial number .

robinfla52

Cadet

Thanks, that's the info I was hoping for. I have read about crappy stators. I also had a 50 hp Merc and replaced that stator with a CDI stator and trigger. Runs great. I may just part out the Classic Fifty as I don't think it's worth fixin. Thanks again for the reply, as I was wondering if anybody was on here any more. Seems all my search questions are from posts 2 or more years old.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

depending on how bad that motor is i would keep it - 1988 classic fifty ( 45hp) models were used as and are sought after by 44xs racers - they added a tougher crank to this year -it's really one of there better motors - i also own one of these - so if you are parting it out post some pics i might be intrested .

robinfla52

Cadet

Verado7 thanks for the info. I'll send you pics if I decide to bypass fixing it. I am located in Seminole.FL just for shipping info.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

dont worry about the shipping im not a parts store - and im way the hell up in canada - however you could ship me some warmer weather i'm itching to get out there .