My turn with the plug

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I had read about 100 posts on here about people forgetting to put their plugs in. Well, I thought "these people really must be stupid, who would forget their plug?". Turns out, I would.<br /><br />Backed the boat off the trailer and tied it to the dock, went and parked the truck and came back. Drove out at 5mph for about 5 or so minutes and suddenly remembered about the plug! At this point, boat had been in the water for a good 10-15 mins.<br /><br />Turned it around and gave it some gas-- still going 5mph. Gave it full throttle and we're now up to 6mph. Im starting to get worried water will get into the engine and it will turn off, if so we're literally sunk! My girlfriend is really scared, my roommate doesnt even know anything is wrong and the back of the boat is WAY WAY too low. I managed to calm down, have them both sit in the bow and instead of driving to the ramp as they suggest, I beached it on the closest beach I could find. Even the ski locker in the center of the boat was starting to fill up. After putting the plug back in and about 10 or so minutes with the bilge pump, we were back in action! <br /><br />Pretty scary, but it ran fine after that. When we got back home, I sprayed the engine down w/ water, then degreaser, then water and then some WD40. Everything still seems to be running great and I assure you my plug will always be either in the drain hole or attached to my steering wheel!<br /><br />Anyone else who is new to boating like me, take this as a warning: It will happen to you too if you're not careful!

Marauderk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My turn with the plug

Yup i agree it will happen one day to everyone and several days to some and most of the time for a few of us

Sublime

Cadet

Two tips,..<br /><br />1. Tie the plug somewhere with a string. Steering wheel or controll box. My plug is inside , so I tie it to the control cables near the plug hole.<br /><br />2. Write on winch stand, in big letters "PUT IN PLUG". I get some comments and chuckles, but I don't forget my plug anymore.

AG

Seaman Apprentice

I purchased a corrosion free chain and I tie the chain to the plug, and then to the boat. If I ever do launch without the plug, at least I know where it is.<br /><br />The second time I launched the boat, I forgot the plug because my buddy yelled - "...stop you forgot the plug..." thank God there weren't any people around...we laughed

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Quoted by randyo: "Anyone else who is new to boating like me, take this as a warning: It will happen to you too if you're not careful!"<br /><br />Unfortunately no matter how "careful" you are if you boat long enough this will happen to you.<br /><br />BTW randyo welcome to the club.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Welcome to the "I Forgot the Plug" play house. Johnnie, tell them what they won!