1973 crestliner help

crawler691

Cadet
Was it common in the 70's for the manufacture to place fiberglass bondo over the rivets? I ask this because i recently purchased a 73 crestliner (hull number CRL45814M73I). I am replacing the floor the previous owner removed and noticed this loose rubberish material. so i preceded to scrap off the loose material and while i was scraping i scraped up a strips of fiberglass bondo (I will post pics). the strips where extremely easy to pull up which makes me think that the fiberglass was not attached to the hull. when i purchased the boat i was told that the boat leaked a little (2-3 gal/5-6 hours) and that it was expected to leak somewhat because if its age. since the fiberglass was easy to remove I'm thinking it was doing little if anything to stop the rivets from leaking. I am guessing these strips are on all the rivets along the bottom hull. I just find it weird that there are fiberglass bondo strips on the aluminum hull. should i worry about the removal of those strips?

on to the pictures

the first pic shows the rubberish material in between where the fiberglass strips were.

fourt005.jpg

the next two show one of the strips and the hull\

fourt008.jpg

fourt007.jpg

this next one just shows the fiberglass strip, nothing special.

fourt006.jpg

thanks for any input/ideas/insight.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 crestliner help

lol.....that was a lousy repair someone attempted

oops!

Supreme Mariner

and by the way.....

welcome to i boats !

crawler691

Cadet

lol, that was what I was thinking. What I am probably going to do is just take out to a lake and float it and see if those rivets are leaking. Last night while working on the boat I noticed the previous owner put a through hull in the transom and left the wood open to the water.......so ill have to replace that at some point.