Volvo Penta 5.0 OSi BF V8 MFI start out of water

pbusanga

Cadet
Hi i would like to start the above while out of the boat how do i do this (i have the cooling water connection ok) i dont know how i should pressurize the fuel pumps for eg before starting.

Do i just connect the +ve to the +ve on the coil and ground the engine then jump the starter ??

Thanks in advance

pbusanga

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0 OSi BF V8 MFI start out of water

Anybody ?? Would really appreciate some advice before i do something silly and blow the electronics...thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hook up ignition power by hooking a jumper from the battery + terminal to the purple wire on the alternator. That will energize the ignition relay and you should have power to everything else.

pbusanga

Cadet

Hi Don thanks for reply, Am still a bit unclear as to the connections i have to do, could you walk me through it

1. connect ground to engine block
2. connect +ve jumper to purple wire at alternator
3. connect +ve to Starter
4. Jump starter solenoid to turn engine

is this correct

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's it.

pbusanga

Cadet

Thanks a lot Don ...am removing engine to fix oil leak so want to run before re installing.

Do you happen to know what size spline bit is required to remove the XDP drive (the two bolts on either side under the small plates) i need to order the tool (i live in West Africa) so need to be sure i get right one