Whee! My turn for a SHT!!!

robpoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Actually, three..kinda. Last one is the best..<br /><br />First day out: Anchor out near(ish) to the shore. Wind is blowing us (not big enough anchor) and blew us into some tree branches. Tell kid to haul in anchor. He has it most way in, I turn wheel and take off. He drops anchor and it wraps around said tree. Whoops. If I was going to lose the anchor I was going to do it in style. Gunned the engine and pulled the tree(ish) thing about 5 feet out of the water. Then the anchor breaks free and we take off like a rocket. Thing pops out of the water then back in .. Well at least I didn't lose my anchor..<br /><br />-----------------------<br /><br />#2. Day one: pulling boat out of the water. Get the bow strap on, pulling it out. All of a sudden I'm hearing a ratcheting sound. Boat's sliding off the trailer. I'd left the lock in the UNWIND position. Oops! Didn't even make it all the way out, and I'm backing back into the water. Nearly lost it (and I'd have felt pretty dumb!)<br /><br />----------------<br /><br />#3. Day two. Was bringing in the boat. Friend was bringing the truck down the ramp. He calls me on the cell phone, asks where i am because there are others to pull out. I say "100 yards away and coming in". Stupid me (hehe) keep talking on the phone, thinking it might be nice to have an open line in case of something. <br /><br />Well, due to my idiocy in putting the control box together, the boat doesn't go backwards. Only forward. I come in a little hotter than I had intended, and overshoot the trailer. Bumped off the winch post, deflected to the left and kept going. Bow of the boat bumps into the truck bumper, deflects and keeps going.<br /><br />So there I am. Guy on the dock with his mouth hanging open .. probably thinking "What a dumb a$$" boat heading inland still. All I can think of is "NOT THE TAILLIGHT ON THE TRUCK!!!". Boat bumps off truck again and all of a sudden I'm bottomed out on the ramp, wedged between the dock and my truck. <br /><br />Friend gets out and is like "What the heck are you doing?"<br /><br />I look sheepishly at the guy on the dock and say "No reverse .. heh". He says "Your boat?" I nod. "Your truck?" I nod again. He smiles and says "No problem then, right?" He winks and walks away, shaking his head.<br /><br />Of course, I get out, push the boat back and get it centered up. <br /><br />Had other friend pull the plug (the bilge and under the floor had a bunch of rotting leaves and crap in it) so I got a bunch of water. Came out smelling a LOT better. Not so much like a creek. Drained water most of the way home (dribbled more like) and about 5 gallons on my driveway. I'll go out and vacuum the rest tomorrow.<br /><br />Where the boat scraped on the dock, knocked some gelcoat off (it's an '86 Bayliner, gelcoat on the edge sucks anyways) but it's a buttugly floater for now. Didn't even lose my temper. Just had to giggle.<br /><br />Oh! And I didn't forget the plug (this time, yet!).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Whee! My turn for a SHT!!!

Lordy me!! :eek:

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

What a day. #2 is why it is importanat to have a safety chain to the bow eye in addition to the winch strap.

CATransplant

Admiral

Good job, Rob. So you had a good trip, then? <br /><br />Got to use the boat. Got it home. It just don't get no better than that, eh?

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would be carefull gunning the trottle with the anchor in the water. There was a teenage kid killed recenly when he forgot about the anchor and took off. The anchor came flying out of the water and hit him in the head.<br /><br /> http://www.channel3000.com/news/4594604/detail.html

salty87

Commander

yikes....what lake? i'd like to stay away

nitedmn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Lake Mendota in Madison WI.<br />The link I posted takes you to news article about the accident.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

During the learning process it seems that some folks have a lot more fun and excitement than others :eek:

eeboater

Commander

Cripes... i was just on Mendota Sunday!