Jack plate or new transom holes

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all, I have a question I am just confused about! I am replacing my 89 force 125 with a 97 force 120 (better performance) big problem is the bolt holes in my transom are about 9 1/4" spacing and the new engine has a mercury transom set up with wider bolt pattern (12 3/4" aprox) we made a wooden adapter when we test ran it but I need a permanent mount, my question can I use a Jack Plate to change bolt patterns or should I plug the holes and drill new ones? I hate the idea of drilling holes in the transom, or should I just make an adapter plate out of aluminum?

Thank you all

Danny

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jack plate or new transom holes

You could go with a Hydo Dynamics EZ Lift Jack Plate. You can get them undrilled on the transom side and have the B.I.A. bolt pattern of the Merc on the motor side. That way you wouldn't need to drill new holes in the transom only the jack plate. Just give them a call on Monday morning and tell them your set up.

You can custom order them here: http://www.transom-jacks.com

jak160

Cadet

I had this issue with my boat when I was installing my 150, I just epoxied the old holes with marine grade epoxy and redrilled the new holes and it worked great !:)

Expidia

Commander

Ya, jack plates are great for situations where you want to change the height from time to time but they are pricey options and some offset your outboard back up to 4 inches making your hole shot worse :eek:

If you brought it into a dealer he would have no problem popp'in a few new holes in your transom :D

That's what transoms are made for . . . hanging stuff off them.

Just drill and fill and go do some boating and enjoy :D

danny9696

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all very much, I needed that I was beginning to get worried about what to do you all are great

Thank you again

Danny

pwilke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i just put silicon in the incorrect holes, I taped the outside (so it wouldn't run out) and filled with silicon on the inside till it was flush.