Scotch-Grip #847 or Scotch-Weld #847 ?

jasper60103

Commander
I ordered 3M Scotch-Grip 847 Rubber and Gasket Adhesive, but I received
3M Scotch-Weld 847 Nitrile high-performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive. Both products come in a 5 oz. tube.

I know Scotch-Grip is recommended as a gasket sealer for marine applications.

Scotch-Weld 847 description says...
Higher viscosity, brushable, strong, flexible, rapid bonds to a variety of substrates, including plastics and rubbers, gasketing materials and leather. Resistant to most fuels and oil. Not recommended for bonding EPDM or silicone rubber.

Scotch-Grip 847 description says...
Lower viscosity, sprayable, strong, flexible, rapid bonds to a variety of substrates, including plastics and rubbers, gasketing materials and leather. Resistant to most fuels and oil. Not recommended for bonding EPDM or silicone rubber.

Does it make a difference? Just wondering if I return it and get the Scotch-Grip?
Any experience with Scotch-Weld?

Thanks,
jasper

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Scotch-Grip #847 or Scotch-Weld #847 ?

Yeah, I noticed that and assumed they just changed the name. If anybody knows better, let us know. The descriptions sound strange. I can't imagine anybody spraying that stuff. Or even brushing it. You squeeze it out of the tube and work fast.

yorab

Ensign

I ordered Scotch-Grip from Fastenal and went to pick it up today. However, they gave me Scotch-Weld. So I called 3M (# on the back of the tube) to ask if they are interchangeable. I talked with a technician (not an operator) and she said that only the name has changed. The formulation is the same.

*Scotch-Grip 847 is the same as Scotch-Weld 847*

You can double check this using the MSDS on the 3M website. If you try to view the sheet for Scotch-Grip, you only get information for Scotch-Weld because it is the same stuff.

yorab

Ensign

Jasper, I think that the desciptions you found are for 847-L and 847-H which are the low (L) viscosity and the high (H) viscosity formulations. If you didn't get those descriptions directly from the 3M website then the distributor probably mixed up the descriptions while listing the products.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I need to order some of this stuff to redo my lower unit.

So how long ago was the name changed to scotch weld? Reason I am asking is because on ebay (and other sites) they have quarts of scotch grip for like $25 shipped. From what I can tell this stuff retails for around $25 for a 5 oz tube.

What kind of shelf life does this stuff have?

Also, you all mentioned L vs H. Low vs high viscosity... Which is the one I want for the lower unit?

Thanks gang!