Will these 650 lower units interchange? (pics included)

bayoulee

Cadet
View attachment 50629The motors look identical, but I pulled the L.U. and end of the shart is different. The one with the pin in the end of the shaft is off my parts motor. Incidentally, the reason I pulled it is that my good motor got where it wouldnt go in reverse. Anyone know if it will work? Thanks for the help! Lee

Attachments

• lower units.jpg
    lower units.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
  • splines.jpg
    splines.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 0

jeffdjpeat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Will these 650 lower units interchange? (pics included)

i am no pro, but my motto is why not try and see? i would imagine that small pin is to help line the shaft up, but i could be wrong. Can you swap the shaft from one to the other?

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your shift shafts are splined on both,they should work

bayoulee

Cadet

Its a "preload pin", which some had and some didnt. I bolted it on and it worked. Taking it to the river today.

emckelvy

Commander

The preload pin is used on lower units that have a tapered roller bearing on the driveshaft. Other lower units using a 'straight' ball bearing do not require any kind of bearing preload.

There is another important difference between the two that you should be aware of, however: that O-ring groove in the old driveshaft that you don't see in the pic of the L/U with preload pin.

On older models the O-ring seals the driveshaft/crankshaft splines to keep them from rotting away or freezing together from corrosion.

So you're gonna want to grind a groove for an O-ring in the replacement. Or, pull the powerhead and press into the bottom of the crankshaft the seal assy that takes the place of an O-ring on the driveshaft.

Not that hard to grind the groove, I've done 'em by hand before with a grinder disk chucked-up in an electric drill. But an electric grinder or air motor would probably make quicker work of it.

If you don't do a groove, recommend taking the lower unit down a couple of times per season and re-greasing the splines, especially if you're running in salt or alkali water.

HTH...........ed

bayoulee

Cadet

Thanks Ed, I understand what you are saying and noticed the differences, however, there was no o ring on the shaft when I pulled it. I still dont understand what the purpose of the new groove is. Wouldnt there need to be an o ring in the groove? THanks, Lee