Help please

cpoole973

Recruit
Ok new 2 boating. I had my used boat i had purchased out for the first time. A screw was missing from the housing around the plug. I got water in the boat then turned on the bilige pump. I have a white milky liquid around the engine compartment outside. The boat had been winterized. The boat did run. what is this milky liquid?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help please

We need some more information. motor type, type of cooling, type of drive.
Did you check the engine oil ?

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your description is kinda vague. Milky white liquid is usually oil / water mix. What screw was missing? What kind of boat / motor.

cpoole973

Recruit

mercruiser 3.0, no but i will check the oil in it, it is a 1998 stingray 18ors, i didnt know if it was from the winterizing of the boat or if it was something mechanical or from the water getting in the boat ?

cpoole973

Recruit

the screw on the outside of the drain plug housing there is three one was missing

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone else supect the screw was missing 'cause the wood was rotted out and nothing to hold it in?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If you mean the hull drain, could have corroded away or has transom rot.
How high did the water get in the boat and EXACTLY describe the steps you took to winterize it.Dont leave anything out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anyone else supect the screw was missing 'cause the wood was rotted out and nothing to hold it in?

No, I think he has a drain plug missing because whoever drained whatever he is talking about, didn't put it back in.

Many dealers do not put the plugs back in after draining, or even if they do, they could possibly miss one and not know it. Since you can't run the engine on water after draining, there is no way of knowing if a plug was left out.

IF you don't know much about boats or mechanical things, take it back to the people that winterized it and have them do a startup check and test run.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Milky liquid is from oil in the bilge that mixed with the water that leaked into the boat?

"around the engine compartment outside" I think is from when the bilge pump turned on and pumped the water/oil mix out of the bilge into the lake ?

Just my guess...

cr2k

Captain

4 places the oil may have come from:

1 power steering leak
2 trim pump leak
3 engine oil leak (filter or pan gasket or spilled from oil change)
4 drive input seal oil leaking in via the drive bellows.

I would almost guess #3 from a sloppy winterization.

Or just a dirty bilge.

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or, previous owner drained oil to bilge and never got it all cleaned out...