1986 Mercury 35hp Questions

wendall

Cadet
Hello everyone!
I just picked up Mercury 35 and I am told it is from 1986. It is electric start, has remote steering and controls and power trim/tilt.

I still have it in the back of my truck but wanted to pull it out and start tinkering this weekend to try and get it to fire up.

I need to pick up a gas line fitting that goes to the motor because the boat that I have has a different end on it.

My main concern right now is the power trim. It has 4 hoses coming off of the unit that have fittings on the end but I have no idea what they go to. I assume some sort of reservoir.

Any ideas where to get one and which one I need? Let me know if you need more info and I will try to get it for you.

wendall

Cadet
Re: 1986 Mercury 35hp Questions

Just in case photos help I have uploaded some into my photobucket account.

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r11/wendallatcmwerks/mercury outboard/

I think I might be missing something rather important (expensive) here. It appears I may be missing the reservoir and the pump! It looks to be a high priced item when I google it.

I also have quicksilver controls. There is only one cable attached to it though that moves forward and back with the lever. Is this the only one that is supposed to be there? I do have another set of wires coming out that appears to plug into the motor and there is a receptacle on the front of the control that I have nothing to plug into.

Any cheaper alternatives or am I just talking out of my arse here. Help a newbie out!

Thanks!!

wendall

Cadet
Re: 1986 Mercury 35hp Questions

Ok, I got the power trim/tilt motor from the guy I bought the motor from....thank god.

I went out and bought some things I needed, hooked up the controls with the motor on a stand, ran some water to it and hooked up a battery and she fired right up.

Now I need to figure out how and where to fill the power trim fluid and also where do I properly hook up the battery.

Does the battery go directly to the ground and positive on the motor where the starter runs to? It seemed to work properly when I hooked them up there. I had to use the key on the controls to get the motor to turn over and the electronic choke worked properly.

The power trim motor looks to be attached to a reservoir. I have a feeling I need to take out the large allen screw and fill it there, then work the motor up and down and fill again and again until it doesnt take anymore fluid. I figured I should wait until I have the motor on the boat and the trim motor mounted with hoses routed so I don't have to remove them and lose fluid from the system.

Anyone have any input about these issues?