Got boarded, need a bilge sock.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I ended up getting boarded for a saftey check and they recommended me to get a bilge sock. My bilge was dirty and they said if I were to pump it out and they see the sheen on the water, the fine is very heavy. They had me NOT pump it out as a result of it being dirty. Where do I buy one? I searched bilge sock and nothing came up here. I don;t even know what it looks like.

Another question, do you keep it on board and put it into your bilge only when you have a problem / spill, or do you leave it in all the time? Also does it have a lifespan? Whats is more interesting is there is no mention on this device in any book or even on the certification test I had to take.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Got boarded, need a bilge sock.

There is a government grant that gets you one free...here is the website:

http://www.uga.edu/bilgesock/

Happy boating!

11829nn.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Napa carries 'em,... I've got 1 stuffed in the bilge... It soaks up Oil Only, not water...
When it gets Heavy, toss it,+ replace it...

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am not asking for a free one. Keeping waters clean is our responsibilty not the government. I just need to know if there is a place to order one online.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys. That enviro bond brand seems to rated very high on that one link you provided.

My local NAPA did not even know what I was talking about. They told me to stop down and look thru their catalog. Ok I will be right down!!! NOT!:D:D:D

scipper77

Commander

I never even heard of a bilge sock before.

On first impression it seems like any responsible boater should have one. I know I'm going to get one now.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I assume that was a lake?

Does that lake have a ban on 2-cycle outboards?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have also heard that the more serious and more resonsible you look; if / when you get boarded, they are more than likely going to offer suggestions and tips rather than start writing citations. I guess the environmental impact is of top enforcement with these guys it seems.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got lucky and found some on clearance at Sportsman's Warehouse at the end of last season. I think I paid $1 each. I have not noticed or searched for them anywhere else, but I would imagine West Marine or Overton's might carry them online, if not our very own iboats website.

Good luck.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I assume that was a lake?

Does that lake have a ban on 2-cycle outboards?

Yes it was part of Lake Erie. I was actually in the bay at the time. They have not banned 2 strokes yet, and I do not beleive they will anytime soon. At least I have not heard of anything. They do strictly enforce antifreeze release at the ramps and state park, and I beleive they monitor your bilge water as per stated when I was boarded. A sheen from bilge water on an inboard / sterndrive = big fine.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Seems nutty to require a bilge sock on IO but not to ban 2-stroke OB...hell, they're designed to spit oil into the water.

I'm shocked that San Diego lakes/reservoirs haven't banned me old 2-stroke yet...not that I ever pay the $20/day fee to use the reservoirs :rolleyes:, I just stick to the (for now, free) bays.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

While some oil is unavoidable, and a sock is a good idea for accidents, isn't the larger question, why is there that much petroleum in your bilge?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

While some oil is unavoidable, and a sock is a good idea for accidents, isn't the larger question, why is there that much petroleum in your bilge?

My fault entirly. I was in a rush (urge) to get out in the water on such a nice day. I have NEVER degreased the bilge, and I do not beleive the previous owners ever did. It was on my list to do and with all things, I did not want to do a quick scrub, but rather do a complete job and get it spotless.

I do not beleive I have any oil leaks, but once I clean it, I should be able to tell better.

I know the po probably changed the oil and let it go into the bilge and then just hosed it out without using degreaser.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard of them and I am planning on getting on as I have a very slow oil leak. I do not lose more than a half a quart the whole season 120 engine hours worth. I have tried to trace it down and I think I may have found but I am not 100% I have.

skargo

Banned

I bought a bilge boom recently because I dropped my full oil filter into my bilge. I placed it in, filled my bilge with water, pumped it out(in my driveway) and not a trace of rainbow! Works great, and can be reused over and over. I left it in, even though I have no leaks.

Bowser4x4

Seaman