johnson 85hp waterpump question

tattoolab

Cadet
where r the 2 bolts under the carb that i have 2 take off 2 get the lower end off?
i cant find any bolts that will help the lower drop, and i cant get the lower off 2 change the waterpump it will only come about a in or so and thats it.
thanks for the help

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 85hp waterpump question

if your 85HP motor is 1973 to 1977, you have to loosen the screw on the bellcrank under the carbs and spread the fingers to release the shift rod pin. Click the thumbnail.

Attachments

• Bellcrank.JPG
    Bellcrank.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 0

tattoolab

Cadet

yea its a little like that 1, but still a cant find any bolt under the carb or anyway 2 get the lower unit off ,it comes off about a haif in but thats it

bassfearmee

Seaman Apprentice

You're going to need to remove the starter to get to the release bolt. It's too far back to access from the front. It's under and behind the carbs, not under.

tattoolab

Cadet

ok thanks i will try it and see if after i remove the starter i can find it
thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

yea its a little like that 1, but still a cant find any bolt under the carb or anyway 2 get the lower unit off ,it comes off about a haif in but thats it

Did you look at all the photos in the link ???

tattoolab

Cadet

i looked again and mine doesnt look like that well a little but more cramped in there.
but i will work on it later and let u know
thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

i looked again and mine doesnt look like that well a little but more cramped in there.
but i will work on it later and let u know
thanks

Get some close up photos. Someone will be able to help you.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

There are no 1986 Johnson 85HP motors. What's the model number?

tattoolab

Cadet

model # J85TLC5A
i cant get a good pic everything is so cramped but i think this is the bolt, it sucks if it is.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Thats a 1980 motor Model J85TLCSA.

The shift rod pin is removed fron the starboard side. The head is facing you from the side.

Attachments

• 1980 Shift Rod Pin..JPG
    1980 Shift Rod Pin..JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

bassfearmee

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure about the second pic but the first one looks like it....you'll need a socket with a flex fitting on the end, go with 1/4" socket and extension, it'll be easier to get in there. Don't loose the bolt. When putting the bolt back in, use an old piece of fuel hose, stick the head of the nut firmly in the hose and gently start threading it back in. Once threaded, stick your flex drive/socket in there to tighten it down.

Taking it out is easier than putting it back in.

Bob

tattoolab

Cadet

ok got it all off and done well almost still trying 2 get that bolt 2 line back up with the shift rod, its not liking me. it just will not line up.
any ideas?

and thanks 2 every1 ya'll made me a per part of this forum

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

First it will be helpful for you to have someone give you a hand. One guy to raise, hold, and giggle the lower unit while the other tries to maneuver the bolt into the yoke below the carb. It can be a bear to do. On my 1987 1.6L crossflow V4s it helps to loosen if not remove the throttle cable at the side fo the engine to get a bit more access. Another thing while trying to get that bolt into the yoke you might fiddle with the shifter. For my engine using a 1/4" drive socket with a universal and long extension is a must. You may need to put some tape or something around your universal to keep it from flopping around.

bassfearmee

Seaman Apprentice

And don't tighten the main bolt on the lower unit until that top bolt is in...I tighten my main bolt up 1/2 way, then go back and forth, looking to get the shift rod lined up and tightening/loosening that main bolt under the lower unit. Once it looks like its lined up, put your bolt in and get it tight. Then finish tightening/raising the lower unit, then put all your bolts in and you're finished. Don't forget about using a fuel hose to get the bolt started.

Last, check your shifter and verify that it's working.