steering issue on balyiner with 270- parts source?

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class
My old Capri carves a nice "S" pattern at slow speed... There is slop in the outdrive that I traced to the steering cable mount..Its a sort of knuckle I guess and that knuckle must be worn out because its got a lot of play in it.

Would this be a Volvo part or a Bayliner part? I didnt see anything in the volvo diagrams...

Any harm if I bolt it up solid, or does this thing need to pivot somewhat?

Thanks in advance!

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: steering issue on balyiner with 270- parts source?

It sounds like you are talking about the P/S accuator valve and if so, it is supposed to have that movement in it. That movement is what controlls the P/S fluid valves.
I just answered another question explaining the reasons that wandering happens. It was posted by Richierich and titled "New boat owner..." I don't know how to post a link, so you will have to look for it, but it was just a few minutes ago.

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: steering issue on balyiner with 270- parts source?

Thanks for the replies

There is no power steering on this one, hence no actuator vavles. Hydrodynamics aside, there is an unacceptable amount of play in the steering, not a normal, inherent amount, and the mount for the steering cable is where its coming from. Having a partner wiggle the outdrive through the range if its "play" that steering cable mount moves back and forth, clicking somewhat.

The arrangement of this mount is mechanically very similar to a tie rod end on a car. It has a ball and socket with a grease fitting. I think the angle of the cable end needs to change throughout the motion of the steering arm, thats why its a ball and socket. The current condition of the knuckle is similar to a worn out tie rod end, the post has all kinds of slop and free play in the socket. I'm guessing the previous owner did not grease it often enough.

I just need to find out where to get a new one. Balyliner's website didnt show much for older boats. I think I will just pull it off and carry it into my favorite marine store.

Thanks again!