Ladder for inflatable?

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice
What are you all using for a ladder to get back in the boat? The boat store sells one that is made for inflatables but it is $2-300 OUCH!! I have tried rope/chain ladders on other boats but the problem is the ladder goes under the boat and is very difficult to get into the boat with. I have seen the portable ladders that are $75 but they are bulky and again seem like a lot of cash for a step.

Looking for good reasonable ideas you all are using to get back into the boat when it warms up and we want to go swimming/tubing.

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Ladder for inflatable?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...Primary Search/mode matchallpartial/0/0?N=377 710 840&Ne=712&Ntt=Ladders &Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=ladder&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5&subdeptNum=31&classNum=32

This is the ladder I use on my inflatable. It got pretty bad reviews on the website, but I've been quite happy with it. It is difficult to climb up because there is nothing to support the ladder, but any stowable ladder you get for an inflatable is going to be like that. It's just the price you pay.

rmoore8118

Cadet

I like the C-step at Defender.
It's all nylon and is compact. I got the 2 step one even though they recommend the one step. Some folks just can't step really high to that top loop.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Most people don't use a ladder and simply use the "three bob" method for entry. To do that:

Place yourself at the either side at the stern. place your hands on top of the tube and bob up and down three times. On the third bob, lean in towards the interior of the boat with your torso while pressing down with your hands. That should put your center of gravity at a point where you are at the inside of the top of the tube and can simply do a controlled roll over the tube into the boat.

It's not for everyone and doesn't work well if you have huge tubes, but it bypasses the need for a ladder for a lot of people.

azzurro

Seaman

Hi all, I've been reading the forum for some time. This thread really interests me. It's not only comfort but also security.

I've got a 4m SIB and, also, some friends aged 70 - with grandsons. That makes me think of trouble. It's easy getting on the boat by the beach, but ... well, every children love diving and grandpas do care about children. So, once the "rescue team grandma" is in the water, getting her up may be a trouble.

The Avon boat at the videos at http://www.boatus.com has two handles by the ladder (mine does not - maybe I can solve it with some additional home-made rope handles), but even though it looked like complicated for a grandma.

First I thought about the aluminum Plastimo ladder - but watching the videos makes me think it's not such a good idea (pity, I had found it for very few euros and it does fold plain enough).

The yellow ladder ("C-Level Sea Steps Safety Ladder") looked sooo small and easy, but even though, I'm afraid old people is not their market!

I have seen this platform from Plastimo:
http://www.latiendadelnavegante.com/photos_g/003567_1.jpg
http://www.latiendadelnavegante.com/photos_g/003567_2.jpg
http://www.latiendadelnavegante.com/photos_g/003567_3.jpg
It's perfect - but it's expensive and big. And it looks like anyone who sees it will think of getting it for free (well I guess I can take some care about it).

Is anyone out there old enough for having trouble to get into a RIB-SIB from the water? How do you manage it?

P.S.: Excuse my written English, it's not my language.

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

T.G. is right. It's really not that hard. I freedive spearfish from mine for extended periods, and sometimes come back to the boat a little gassed. I made my own sigle step out of a discarded ladder step, and hang it from the safety line. I use basically one step as support, and "one bob" back into the boat. Very easy, and that one step helps a lot.

abdiver7777

Seaman Apprentice

Easiest - cheapest is a 12"-14" piece of 2x4 and an 8ft - 9ft lenght of rope (that sinks in water). Add enough weight to the 2x4 so it sinks.

one hole in each end of the 2x4 the same diameter as the rope and slide each end of the rope through the holes and tie a knot in the end.

now just loop the assembly though one of the top handholds of the inflatable and you should have a single step about 3 feet below the water line. Adjust as needed............

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice

good ideas, I like the 3 bob method. Is getting into an inflatable easier than a regular boat? getting into a normal boat w/o a ladder is bit difficult.

The rope and 2x4 idea may have to be explored.

Last night I came up with an idea after watching my neighbors kid riding his bike. He has the foot pegs on his BMX style bike, they are approx 1" dia. ~ 6" long aluminum. I am thinking about mounting one to the post on the launch wheels right above the tire. when I need to get back in just lower one wheel and use the peg as a ladder rung. Should work fine if I am using the launch wheels. Maybe fab up a post out of AL stock with the 2nd peg (they are sold in pairs for $20) to use when I don't have the launch wheels on.

Any thoughts?

abdiver7777

Seaman Apprentice

That should work too......

I use my inflatable to dive and I'm not a youngster....LOL.....

I find that the step is easir to use when at least 3 feet below the water line.

Your idea is good but I try to keep as many hard objects out of my inflatable as possible. I find the rope/2x4 takes up very little space. My set-up is actually a piece of teak that is 3/4" thick and 4"X12"....

Teak sinks naturally so no weight needed and it tolerates salt water but it is not cheap.....

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice

Hmmm. I have some teak left over from the patio set I built. Was not aware it would sink. Will have to try this out. (got a ton of it from an estate auction for $20!)

Also, since there are a couple of divers on this thread. What makes an inflatable so good for diving? I have one due to the extreme portability when also towing my travel trailer. Is it the stability and cargo capacity or is it something else that makes this the preferred rig to dive out of?

abdiver7777

Seaman Apprentice

Reasons you stated plus:
Shallow draft, easy in/out, easy to launch, when returning to boat and no one is in it you can toss weight belt in without help so it is easier to get in, low maintenance, with launch wheels there is no waiting at the launch ramp..

The list goes on!

azzurro

Seaman

I've seen 3 step aluminum ladders but they are more expensive and bulky too.
Maybe a mix for my seventies friends.
Aluminum 2 step Plastimo + 1 rope&teak(or so) home-made step (hanging down the 1st aluminum step) + 2 home-made stripe handles on top. I'll try this and play with extension and ladder height... I'll let you know.

Or... well, it's just a flash...
What about aluminum ladder but ... doing the first step with the opposite leg? I mean, ladder on steering board (right), first step with left foot, second step with right foot, and then roll over?

Maybe silly, but I'll check my oldies which leg should they use as first step and then decide the board for the ladder.

I know all of this may sound stupid - but I expect to grow older too and keep on using inflatables (I hope my sons will launch it!).

JimXeod

Seaman Apprentice

What makes an inflatable so good for diving? I have one due to the extreme portability when also towing my travel trailer. Is it the stability and cargo capacity or is it something else that makes this the preferred rig to dive out of?

For starters stability and load capacity. My inflatable is 11' and rated at over 1300lbs (not that I would EVER load it that way). Also the tubes act as bouyancy when entering, and re-entering the boat. In my case I was a Navy diver, and soon learned the benefits! We beat the crap out of ours, didn't maintain them as well as we should have, and they were always ready. Very tough.

To elaborate on the stabilty, you can have 3 people on one side of an 11' boat, and it barely lists to the side, a benefit of the characteristics of the tubes. Try that in a 14-16" fiberglass! Safety comes into play here as well. I find inflatables safe, rugged, lightweight, and very useful for diving-freediving.

sr280da

Seaman Apprentice

This has really been over thought way too much. Use a dock line.

There is the classic approach of using a dock line to retrieve anyone who has been in the water. Tie one end to the bow and the other to the stern. Person in water need only stand on line to get in.

When swimming or diving from our inflatable I just tie off a dock line on the handle with about 2-3' from the loop end. Loop end goes in water and forms a single step.

FH alumni

Seaman Apprentice

went with the rope and teak ladder=$FREE!!, however the last ladder appears to be a great design-eliminates the problem of the ladder going under the boat.

mpj76

Seaman Apprentice

Rope through piece of PVC. Personally, I take off my BC and clip it to a line in the water. Then I just use my flippers to jump into the boat like a fat seal.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Bin Ladder

Bin Ladder

Imports are a real headache & time consuming and being a practical boater decided to make my own, after testing several methods, found all to be non water convincing or bulky. This Bin Ladder is very practical, fits in a small pouch and costs peanuts to make; any related name, is pure coincidence :D

1-Iy you happen to have a seat you don't use at all, remove hook, or can get a spare plastic seat hook, make a middle cut and pass a 2.80 Mt 25 mm belt, sew loop, pass other side through a water tube about 25 cm width and 23 mm in diameter, make a triangle tigh knot. If you want it to be a height adjusted ladder can place a stainles steel buckle where triangular portion is formed to vary heigh accordingly for child/adult use. (Pic-1)

2-Place seat hook on left tube seat handle patch, extend to right patch and form a loop so to distribute person's weight and pull evenly on both patches, pass it through middle right tube handle untill sinks. (Pic-2)

3-Adjust triangle height so to have at least a 100? angle with knee, place right foot on traingle, while standing on tube pull yourself up while grabbing with other hand inside belt portion (before loop) an easy stand & pull step combination even for ladies. (Pic 3-4)

This application is only for fronbt/rear empty seat patches, if no patches are available inside sib can place and secure seat hook on life lines.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Bin Ladder-1.JPG
    Bin Ladder-1.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Bin Ladder-2.JPG
    Bin Ladder-2.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Bin Ladder-3.JPG
    Bin Ladder-3.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Bin Ladder-4.JPG