1988 Johnson 90hp (think I broke it)

scottygethotty

Seaman Apprentice
Hi

I took my boat out today after changing the impeller, plugs, ect ect.

However I think I've blown up the motor i've posted a few clips on youtube please take a look and let me know what you think

After the overheating alarm went off it started to smoke from the flywheel, I took the boat back to the trailer and it started to chock.

Im now concerned that i have blown up one of the pistons and or something.

can someone advice please.....

(Smoke from the flywheel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8X-KacYFDM

(coughing as i took boat back to dock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou8Y1PKCFHY

Since i got it home I took the engine cover off and there's a fresh oil leak running down the middle of the 4 pistons from seems to be form the flywheel..

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1988 Johnson 90hp (think I broke it)

What year is your motor? Does it have a pee hole? There was no water coming out of the "Peehole" in the video. I sounded like you over heated it so badly it heat siezed. Did you check for water flow. I think I would have shut it down as soon as the smoke started.

scottygethotty

Seaman Apprentice

its a 1988, So does that now mean its toast??

there was water running through it before it was periodically smoking through the pee hole then water then more smoke and so on..

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You will need to get the cylinder heads off as soon as possible and get some lubrication on the cylinders and pistons. You will want to get new head gaskets, but oil the cylinders first.

Looks like you cooked your water-cooled rectifier.

Check water pump, thermostats and water passage deflectors, in that order.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

2nd video coming back to dock looks more like steam coming out. That would have been a good time to shut it down when you saw that.
Does it still turn over ???

scottygethotty

Seaman Apprentice

yes it does still turn over im not sure it would do in the morning though theres oil leaking out of it now, im just not sure how much more I can take of this, it overheated pretty bad and i had to run it back it was 100ft back to the dock.

So basically now that i have a new problem to deal with i take it this is past just a simple overheating problem then?

Any idea how much a mechanic would charge to sort this out now, as im guessing the engine has to be stripped now?

any thoughts would be very welcoming..

Cheers

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Whip the heads and exhaust covers off it and look for damage.