A cool article on using anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezbtr

Commander
A cool article on using anchors from one of my safety bulletins...

ISSUE HOME > Anchors Aweigh! Anchors Aweigh!

If you're a boater, chances are at some point you'll want to set anchor and enjoy your surroundings. However, anchoring isn't just a matter of throwing an anchor overboard. First, you need to purchase an anchor designed for the type of bottom characteristics typically found in your area (sand, mud, etc.). Here are some guidelines to follow:

Before anchoring, be aware of the "swing"; of other area boats. For example, a yacht at anchor may swing out widely, so put more space between your boat and the yacht.

Secure your anchor line to something sturdy on the boat before dropping it into the water.

Drop your anchor slowly off the bow by holding on to the chain or line until you feel some slack.

Let the boat drift back while you feed out the proper amount of scope. The recommended scope ratio is approximately seven (or eight) to one. For example, if you're in 30 feet of water you'll want 210 to 240 feet of line.

Secure the line and "back down" on the anchor by keeping your bow into the wind or current to set it.

Put the engine in neutral and make sure that you aren't drifting. Reset your anchor if you begin to drift.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: A cool article on using anchors

Good stuff, ezbtr.

I am going to move it to the Boat Forum and stick it. We get lot of questions about how to anchor.

ezbtr

Commander

oh, oops, I wasnt sure where to put it... A few years back I really learned a lot about what kind of anchor to use, for where youre fishing. :)

The Dougler

Seaman

What's the reasoning for letting out 7ft of line per foot of depth, sorry if it seams obvious but I'm new to boating.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the anchor line is too short it will pull up on the anchor rather than horizontal pressure. You can guess what happens if you pull up on it... so a 2 - 1 ratio on any kind of windy day pretty much guaranties a dragging anchor.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

What's the reasoning for letting out 7ft of line per foot of depth, sorry if it seams obvious but I'm new to boating.

It is all about the angle of the rode (chain or rope attached to the anchor)to the bottom...if your anchor rode is 90 degrees to the bottom , it will easily lift up and out. I motor up when raising anchor, until I am almost 90 to the bottom,easier to raise it. The depth of the water determines how much rode you need. It is desireable to know the deepest water you boat on , and have the correct amount of line aboard. Sometimes anchoring is more of an emergency safety procedure than for chilling out. It is no fun drifting towards rocks or shallows in the event of engine failure,and not being able to set anchor because you do not have enough anchor line.
Since you are new to boating , there are plenty of online boating safety courses available that will really help you learn to be safe.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is all about the angle of the rode (chain or rope attached to the anchor)to the bottom...if your anchor rode is 90 degrees to the bottom , it will easily lift up and out. I motor up when raising anchor, until I am almost 90 to the bottom,easier to raise it. The depth of the water determines how much rode you need. It is desireable to know the deepest water you boat on , and have the correct amount of line aboard. Sometimes anchoring is more of an emergency safety procedure than for chilling out. It is no fun drifting towards rocks or shallows in the event of engine failure,and not being able to set anchor because you do not have enough anchor line.
Since you are new to boating , there are plenty of online boating safety courses available that will really help you learn to be safe.

Just as a perspective from another new boater....one who has taken a class in person and gone through a few online training sites...I got more understand the why from your post than the classes. By understanding the why of something makes it relevant to learning. :)

I knew that I needed a much higher ratio of line than depth, couldnt get past the so what aspect. This added some perspective for me, thanks.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Glad I could help :D

um0RION

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If I might ask a question along these lines... Im going to be boating on a lake, a mile wide maybe, and 5-6mi long or so. The deepest point is 204'. Obviously I cant keep 1400-1600ft of anchor rope on an 18' boat.. what would you all recommend? I was thinking 150ft would be good, since its relatively easy to get to shallower waters, then I can get as deep/shallow as I want.

nlain

Commander

um0RION, I have a 18 foot boat, I have 2 anchors, just changed the line out and put on 150'. I had one about 125' and one about 100', lines were old so I changed out for new. I have about 6' of chain on the anchor then the line attached to the chain, I anchor in 30' to 40' of water at times in a strong current and have plenty of line left when anchor is set and holding so that should be enough for you on a lake.

To others, Chain on the anchor helps to hold the arm down so the anchor will set easier, the weight of the chain helps keep the line from pulling up on the anchor arm. I know I am not using the proper term calling it an arm, but you get the idea anyway. :D

Billfo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good thing I read this thread..From a mechanical breakdown- drifing into the rocks thing.... I dont have nearly enough rope in my locker..

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Along with a First Aid kit , a fire extinguisher and PFD's for all aboard, a proper anchor can save your life depending on where you boat.

The Dougler

Seaman

What's the best style anchor for rock/mud? Inland lakes or course. 19ft open bow.

Fisherman94

Cadet

A cool article on using anchors from one of my safety bulletins...

ISSUE HOME > Anchors Aweigh! Anchors Aweigh!

If you're a boater, chances are at some point you'll want to set anchor and enjoy your surroundings. However, anchoring isn't just a matter of throwing an anchor overboard. First, you need to purchase an anchor designed for the type of bottom characteristics typically found in your area (sand, mud, etc.). Here are some guidelines to follow:

Before anchoring, be aware of the "swing"; of other area boats. For example, a yacht at anchor may swing out widely, so put more space between your boat and the yacht.

Secure your anchor line to something sturdy on the boat before dropping it into the water.

Drop your anchor slowly off the bow by holding on to the chain or line until you feel some slack.

Let the boat drift back while you feed out the proper amount of scope. The recommended scope ratio is approximately seven (or eight) to one. For example, if you're in 30 feet of water you'll want 210 to 240 feet of line.

Secure the line and "back down" on the anchor by keeping your bow into the wind or current to set it.

Put the engine in neutral and make sure that you aren't drifting. Reset your anchor if you begin to drift.

Something I hadn't made sure of before I dropped the anchor. Too bad I couldn't grab the line in time. It was a brand new $40 anchor. :redface: haha

Ned L

Commander

Something that many people may tend to 'overthink' is the the size of the rhode (anchor line) required. I've seen a number of posts where people talk about a 1/2" or 5/8" diameter rhode. For most of the poeple that post here that is a bit of overkill.
While growing up, our family boat was 46' & registered at 27tons, our principle anchor in nasty weather was a 35# Danforth anchor, about 12' of chain, and 200' of 3/8" three strand nylon. We also regulary used an 18# Danforth with chain & 200' of 1/2" three strand nylon.
If you think about it, the tensile strength of 3/8" nylon is over 3000 lbs, which is a tension that the anchor rhode will never see. The advantage of using the smaller diameter line is that it acts like a huge (rubber band like) shock absorber, and will give a nice easy motion and have much less tendance to snap or jerk the anchor out of the bottom. We rode out a couple of hurricanes with that. (The 3/8" is also easier to handle & takes less storage space.)

-
-
-

Anchor types for mud & rock,
for mud, I'd use a "Danforth" type of fluke anchor, not the best in real rock.
In real rock, a "CQR" or plow type, or in bad rock, a traditional 'Yachtsman" anchor.

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe it's just me but 7 to 1 seems ridiculose to me. I boat a lake which is 70ft deep avg with a mud bottom. I use a mushroom style anchor. I drop it in until it hits bottom, throw out another 10 to 15 ft and that is it. I normally have to stand on the bow and pull straight up to pop the anchor loose.

Fisherman94

Cadet

Maybe it's just me but 7 to 1 seems ridiculose to me. I boat a lake which is 70ft deep avg with a mud bottom. I use a mushroom style anchor. I drop it in until it hits bottom, throw out another 10 to 15 ft and that is it. I normally have to stand on the bow and pull straight up to pop the anchor loose.

No, it isn't just you. I agree, it does seem ridiculous. I often go fishing for panfish and pike in this very shallow bay (4 feet deep) at my cabin. On those windy days I just drop the anchor. I give just a couple feet of slack. At most, I would probably have about 6-7 feet of anchor line out in 4 feet of water. Using the 7 or 8 to 1 thing would mean that I should have about 28 to 32 feet of anchor line out. I don't see the need to have that much line out, it just seems unnecessary.

try www.boat-ed.com its free until you choose to take the test and you are not required to take the test in order to use and view all the sections and modules- it covers anchoring in detail - you can choose from many states but i used the texas link.

NYBo

Admiral

No, it isn't just you. I agree, it does seem ridiculous. I often go fishing for panfish and pike in this very shallow bay (4 feet deep) at my cabin. On those windy days I just drop the anchor. I give just a couple feet of slack. At most, I would probably have about 6-7 feet of anchor line out in 4 feet of water. Using the 7 or 8 to 1 thing would mean that I should have about 28 to 32 feet of anchor line out. I don't see the need to have that much line out, it just seems unnecessary.
For the purposes you give, what you're doing works, so there is no problem. However, if you were relying on your anchor holding in serious weather or for any length of time in an area with rising water or even moderate current, you would be in trouble, pronto.

monk-monk

Chief Petty Officer

Great info...I knew i had a problem with anchoring! I use a plastic coffeee "can" filled with cement, i drop this "rock" till it hits bottom and then i give it a foot or two and tie off to the cleat...can't hold position for sh#@...just drags the coffee can around...seen one with the 4 flanges protruding and realized i needed an anchor that would grab...plus, the amount of slack makes sense...nice post, starting to get an understanding of anchoring..!

Status
Not open for further replies.