Seating Questions???

bradboat23

Cadet
Hey Everybody,

Just wondering if anybody had any tips for me on re-doing the front of my boat as far as seating. I would like to have it all padded, but am confused on how to pull this off. Here are a few pics to better explain this issue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :) Just so u know there are 2 boards that slot in on the right and left side so then u can put a piece of plywood over it to make seats. And the hole in the middle will be covered with a piece of carpeted plywood.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Seating Questions???

There is a good thread on how to reupholster seats. But for what you have, it's basically just plywood, foam, batting (quilt material) and vinyl.

You want quick and easy you don't even have to sew, just wrap the vinyl around the batting and foam and staple the bottom (with stainless steel staples please). Won't look fantastic but will be pretty serviceable.

What would be a little better is to at least sew the corners of the vinyl to give it more of a square shape, you don't need to add the piping and such unless you wanted to.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

check out my seat thread in my signature...
the sewing techniques are pretty much the same, whether round, square or curved...you just follow the edge of your material/pattern

bradboat23

Cadet

Thanks for the solid ideas. Does anybody have any ideas on how to attach the vertical pieces? They were attached before by a long bolt with a washer in the inside and it was screwed into the board somehow. I'm thinking some type of strong velcro??? Please help.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i've got a diagram floating around here somewhere of how i attached the bolts to the cushions with the threads stick out the back to feed into the holes in the cap...then put wing nuts on them...that is, if you have access to the inside of the cap

bradboat23

Cadet

I only have access to the outside, can't get to the inside to tighten a nut...

erikgreen

Captain

Forget seating... just block off that access way, put in some jets and a pump... presto, floating hot tub :)

bradboat23

Cadet

That does sound like a great idea, but I think cost would be an issue here :) I'm thinkin a solid Velcro is going to have to be the application for this job.

opalized

Seaman Apprentice

Just a thought, on the vertical cushions.
Screw L clips to the side of the boat and put some u clips on the back of the seats, and set the seat down into the L clip

erikgreen

Captain

I think the standard way to do this sort of thing is to use the snaps like the ones on bimini tops.. you can get the male part of the snap that screws into the fiberglass, and the female part would be on a short strap on the bottom of the cushion, either under it or on the side. Snaps will hold better than velcro, I would think.

Erik

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you can also screw the female part of the snap to the backing of the cushion backs (the vertical cushions)

as far as velcro is concerned, there are some mighty strong velcro's out there...not just your typical loop and hook patterns either. more so used in industrial applications:

Hook Side

The rough side of VELCRO ? brand fastener is made of hundreds of tiny flexible HOOKS.

HOOK 88 - The standard heavy duty hook comprised of over 400 hooks per square inch with 8 millimeter diameters, made of woven nylon. (Used in 90% of all applications.)
HOOK 65 - A lower strength hook with slightly higher cycle life comprised of over 300 hooks per square inch with 6.5 millimeter diameter, made of woven nylon.
HOOK 805 - A less expensive thinner profile molded hook for light duty applications. Will not attract lint.
HOOK MVA#8 - A very high strength molded hook with 180 "T" shaped hooks per inch. *************STRONGEST***********

Loop Side

The soft, fuzzy side of VELCRO ? brand fastener is made of hundreds of small, soft LOOPS

LOOP 1000 - The standard heavy duty loop, made of woven nylon, is designed to mate to all VELCRO ? hook. Considered "napped" tape, the loops are randomly oriented which offers greater holding power. (Used in 90% of all applications.)
LOOP 2000 - The "unnapped" loop tape with loops oriented in neat rows. This tape is slightly better looking but offers less peel strength.
LOOP 3610 - A less expensive knitted loop for light duty applications. Used with HOOK 805.

STANDARD BACKED (STD)
The non-adhesive type of VELCRO ? brand fasteners for sew-on applications.

BACK TO BACK
This VELCRO ? brand fastener is double sided tape and is usually hook to loop for wrapping applications. Available in 5/8", 3/4",1", 1, and 2".

ONE-WRAP ? brand fasteners (click for image)
An inexpensive hook to loop, back to back, tape, utilizing a molded hook and a knitted loop for a thinner profile. Available in 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1", and 2".

VELCOIN ? brand fasteners (click for image)
VELCRO ? brand fasteners which has been die-cut into circles or coins.

CUT PIECES
The hook and loop material can be CUT TO LENGTH for FREE if over 1". Under 1" there is a $5.00 per roll charge.. If you are using the same pieces in what you are making, (squares, rectangles, or strips), let our accurate cutting machine do the work for you. Additionally, if both the hook and loop material are the same size we can mate the pieces together for quick assembly.

STRAPS
Straps can be custom made with VELCRO? brand fasteners with or without rings, heat sealed or sewn (build your straps on line here).

DIE-CUT
The hook and loop material can be die-cut into any shape on our press with steel-rule dies.

VELSTRETCH ? Loop Fasteners
An elastic loop tape for use where expansion or contraction is required or where comfort or a tight, secure fit is desired.

VELTEX ? (click for image)
Brand Loop Fasteners A 60" wide laminated loop fabric designed for use on display boards or other surfaces. Available in 24 popular colors (get your FREE color card in our on-line shopping center).

WIDE LOOP 3001
A heavy duty loop comparable to LOOP 1000. Available in 54" black and is typically used in wall applications.

VELSTICK ? brand fasteners (click for image)
A special rigid VELCRO ? brand fastener backed by extruded plastic, comes in 4 foot lengths. Available in Hook 88, Loop 1000, and MVA#8. Standard backed, PS, and 014 Precoat. Widths are 1" and 1*".

SPECIALTY

These tapes are designed for demanding conditions.

HI-AIR ? Brand Fasteners

"Flame resistant" hook and loop made out of NOMEX ? composite.
HI-GARDE ? Brand Fasteners

All steel, heat and corrosion resistant, usable up to 800? F.
FIRE RETARDANT (FR)

Nylon hook and loop that has been treated fire retardant.
POLYESTER

100% polyester tape is resistant to water, acid, and ultra-violet rays.