Welding. Not as easy as it looks......

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm the type of guy that is pretty handy at detail work. Carving, making stuff by hand, etc. But on my new resto project, I've undertaken the challenge of learning to weld. The trailer for the boat had some bad angle iron and was missing fenders, so I'm working on adding new metal and fenders. I have never really tried to weld, (even though I work with welders and boiler makers all the time) so I thought I'd let my Dad teach me.

It is kicking my *****. LOL. The only thing I'm doing well is cussing, and running the grinder to make the beads look better.

Anyone else have this same experience?

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Welding. Not as easy as it looks......

You must be stick welding, with the new wire feeds, if you can color with a big fat crayon and just stay partially in the lines, you can weld like a pro in a few minutes (including overhead). Problem is, even the cheap flux cored welders are still $300+. See if you can rent a small wire feed, use the flux cored wire, you will be impressed.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

it's all about picking the correct rods for the application, selecting the right amperage for the metal thickness, and haveing a steady hand and timing.
It's a science, and it's an art, all at the same time.

I took welding in highschool, got quite good with arc, mig, and even torch welding. But I haven't done anything more than a braze in over 10 years, if you asked me to weld something I'd give you back something that looks like piegon poop :)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welding is just like ridin' a bicycle,... Once ya Learn, it gets Easier with Practice...

What are you using for a Welder,..??

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Bond-o, just takes practice. Once you get it then it gets easier. Welder set-up/rod selection is a big part to making it easier.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Try welding overhead with a stick. You'll wear yourself out knocking slag off between starts and stops, regardless of skill level. Get a wire feed mig (or use flux core) and you don't need practice or a steady hand, you don't even need that great of vision.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh I remember when I was first learning how to stick weld...what a sight! Problem is I could never see through that darn helmet to see where the stick was going. I ended up welding all kinds of things to my round steel table before I figured it out. At least I got a lot of practice on the angle grinder :D

Wire feed is much easier...

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I originally learned on an arc (stick) welder. I went through quite a few molten sticks before figuring out the art of "amp choice vs metal thickness". After that, you have the hurdle of rod movement speed and "mounds of metal vs gaping holes in your bead". Lastly, you begin to realize "this welding thing is seriously fun!"... until you try to weld thin metal.

Years later (last year to be exact) I bought a flux-core (mig) welder in order to weld my broken thermostat housing back together. I began practicing using a piece of exhaust pipe from a local shop. I would cut it in half, weld it back together, cut it again, ad nauseum. That learning curve consisted of a smaller, yet still present "amp choice vs metal thickness". Then came the dreaded "wire speed vs confidence", which meant me having to trim the out-of-nowhere excess 6 inches of wire on a regular basis. Then came the "beads of metal everywhere vs molten goo ruining more than I'm fixing" speed issue again. After those steps were completed, I began to see welds which (if you did some LSD and squinted really hard) slightly resembled real welding beads which were grindable to a clean, level surface. Sure enough, I did manage to fix my thermostat housing, even with two pieces broken off. I did, however, buy a new housing as I didn't want to risk actually relying on my first ever welding job.

So, in short, yep, welding is a tough learn. I've practiced quite a bit with stick, fixing mower decks, snowblower cages and many other small items and still consider myself a total newbie. As for mig welding (flux core, no gas), I consider that a means to sell grinders, but it is a cheap way to get started and some even work on 110v.

Oh, and without a doubt, buy an auto-dimming helmet. It is a night and day difference, pun intended.

thompy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all good welders are good grinders first, kind of like shooting, control your breathing and relax

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, yer weldin on the trailer first, instead of practicing on some scrap?:p:D

Seriously though , it gets better the more you do. Hmmm, love the taste of metal and slag...mmmm

FBPirate95

Ayuh,... Welding is just like ridin' a bicycle,... Once ya Learn, it gets Easier with Practice...

What are you using for a Welder,..??

Using a 1960's model 180 amp Lincoln welder.

Today went much better. I borrowed a friends electronic hood. (the kind that dims when you strike the arc) and boy that made a difference. I could actually see what I was doing. I actually laid down some pretty good beads.

It's been pretty fun so far even though I suck at metal work. I've been able to do some torch cutting and metal fab, then welding. All good for my continuing education.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Practice and technique with the correct equipment.
You will soon be like a pro :)

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

Using a 1960's model 180 amp Lincoln welder.

Today went much better. I borrowed a friends electronic hood. (the kind that dims when you strike the arc) and boy that made a difference. I could actually see what I was doing. I actually laid down some pretty good beads.

It's been pretty fun so far even though I suck at metal work. I've been able to do some torch cutting and metal fab, then welding. All good for my continuing education.

Here's a tip for arc weld welding. Keep your elbows against your body. That makes your arms "half length" and the eratic movement will be less.

You'll need to watch the arc itself, the way the puddle moves and how the edges of the puddle blend into the surrounding metal. ( it sounds like a lot to do all at once but that's how you "read" your weld in progress )

Also, certain rods are less sticky ( easier to weld with ) than others.

Good luck and keep practicing.

Also --- Do NOT use brake cleaner to clean the metal. It makes poisonous gas which can kill you. Brake Cleaner when heated up makes Phosgene gas.

Read this article
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

rbh

Fleet Admiral

My 10 minute welding coures consisted of, what this knob does, what that knob does, and if it doesnt sound like frying bacon, crank up the power and the feed speed. :confused:

Bondo

Staff member

Also --- Do NOT use brake cleaner to clean the metal. It makes poisonous gas which can kill you. Brake Cleaner when heated up makes Phosgene gas.

Ayuh,... Good Point,... Here's another...
Never, Ever, weld Galvanized steel, til you grind All the Galvanize Off....
The gas given off when welding it will Kill you in less than a Day...It'll make you Sick in Minutes...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ayuh,... Good Point,... Here's another...
Never, Ever, weld Galvanized steel, til you grind All the Galvanize Off....
The gas given off when welding it will Kill you in less than a Day...It'll make you Sick in Minutes...

Excellent advice that can save you! Plus galvanize will spatter a lot if not ground out of the area your welding.

Sometimes, I will use a small fan on low speed to aid in blowing the smoke and fumes away from my welding.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

-and grind the galv. off BOTH sides of whatever your welding. I nearly off'd myself w/that mistake once.

First time I used my Step-bro's auto darkening helmet it was set on max and I couldn't see squat. Welded my part to the vise.

FBPirate95

Much better progress today. Each bead I laid got better and better. I also figured out I do better going from right to left instead of left to right like I had been doing. When I go right to left I can see the arc, both pieces of metal and the pool pulls along nicely. Finally by my last weld it looked ALMOST professional.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Much better progress today. Each bead I laid got better and better. I also figured out I do better going from right to left instead of left to right like I had been doing. When I go right to left I can see the arc, both pieces of metal and the pool pulls along nicely. Finally by my last weld it looked ALMOST professional.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Practice until you get your confidence level built up. Then you know you are getting better.
Every process, and procedure in welding takes dedicated practice. Then once you have a good sound weld, you can then take confidence in knowing what your doing. (well most of the time)
Sounds like your practice is going well. Good Job!

dwco5051

Commander

You didn't mention what rod you are using. A good practice rod to weld scrap together would be 6013. It is a good confidence builder. Stop by your local welding equipment supplier and pick up the free rod advertising brochures and learn what rod is used for what. The wrong rod if you are using an AC only welder can give you trouble laying a good bead. Practice laying up beads on heavier scrap and work your way down to thinner materials where heat settings and technique becomes more and more important.