Merc 50hp identify/mod to estart/tune up?

doc_cody_blue

Seaman Apprentice
Hi Guys,

I just bought this Mercury 50hp 4cyl, serial 9362455 from ebay. It fits my boad well and short shaft is hard to find actually.

1st thing to know: When is it build? I tried a couple of links mentioned here in the board. For me it seems to be 1981, may anybody confirm that?

2nd thing: Its handstart. For me its ok but since I share the boat with my little sister, is it possible to mod that merc to e-start? Putting in the starter motor (that seems available) and a different flywheel and here we go? The electrical part is no problem. I didn't find a flywheel so far. Are they available somewhere?

3rd thing (not really neccessary, but just to know): I have to check the carbs anyway cause one is leaking. So anything to mod there? Different jets maybe? But thats just if there is something easy to do. I don't think I will open up the carbs again if all is done. So this would be a good moment to do, if there are things to do :)

Ahh and another question.. The Merc wasn't used for a couple of years, so i would check the hoses now and change the impeller maybe and the gear oil. Anything else I should do before season is coming?

Thanks for your help.

Andy

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto-1.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto-1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0

doc_cody_blue

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Merc 50hp identify/mod to estart/tune up?

so this is my solution. modded flywheel and found a matching starter motor. good bye handstart :)

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0