1964 Sea Horse 40HP - Puffing?

Griff805

Cadet
Hey guys-

I've started working on my grandfather-in-law's 1964 Glasspar Lido with a Johnson 40HP. It's been sitting for at least 8 years in his boat house, no idea if it's been run for those 8 years, possibly not run for 15 years. Anyway, it actually started up after quite a few pulls on the pull cord and it sounded alright outside of an erratic idle, which is not exactly unexpected. Other than that though, everything sounded fine. Closed up shop and was going to go at it again the next day.

Well, I hooked up the electric start to try to avoid having the use the pull cord and it actually started the boat up on the second try. However, this time there was a very noticeable noise, as well as what sounded like a slight knock, or ping. The most troubling noise though was a sort of puffing sound as the engine rev'd up a bit. It's as if it was building pressure and then would release it from what sounded like the back/side of the motor. It would cause the motor to jolt and the rpm's to drop, but then build back up and do it again. Engine will run for as long as I keep the rpm's up. It will not idle at an "idle" speed if that makes sense, seems to need a bit of gas to keep it going.

I have not had a chance to do a compression check yet, will be doing that tomorrow morning (this morning actually) and will post the results as well as model info on the motor in case that will help.

Just wanted to see if anyone has run into this issue before (sure someone has) and see if there's anything else I need to check. Also, where's the best place to find some hose to replace the fuel hoses that are on the engine? They seem to be quite brittle.

I"m familiar with car engines, but boat engines are new to me. So, if you use any outboard terms in your response, feel free to define them for me- I won't be offended. Thanks guys- hope to hear from someone who has some things to check for.