What product for UV blocking on resin?

jbjennings

Captain
Guys,
I'm nearing completion of the fiberglassing/epoxy resin phase of my wood boat and am wondering if you could recommend a product and supplier for blocking the UV light so the resin wouldn't deteriorate. I'd like to keep the whole boat clear (no paint even on the bottom). I used U.S. composites for the fiberglass and resin. It seems to be going pretty well. The resin and glass has been really nice and transparent. So far, the fiberglass I've done on the bottom is totally transparent. Hoping to keep it that way.
thanks,
JBJennings

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What product for UV blocking on resin?

The polyester resin if used with cloth or CSM really should stand up to UV...... epoxy on the other hand does not stand up to uv exposure.

Which did you use?

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I believe automotive clearcoat has UV protection. Easy as pie to spray on, too.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Varnish comes to mind...

erikgreen

Captain

Yes.. varnish or clear coat will work.. you just need something that will stick to epoxy (plastic) without affecting the clarity of the finish.

There's a couple new products out from West and other epoxy manufacturers that are water clear epoxy... they're thicker than most epoxy, but should work for a top coat. I'd be surprised if they don't have some kind of UV inhibitor in them... after all, why sell a product that's for clear coating if you can't use it outside?

Erik

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks Guys,
I'm probably going to experiment with automotive clearcoat since it's supposed to have lots of UV blockers in it. I was wondering how it would stick with epoxy---will find out. As said, it would sure be easy!
Thanks,
JBJennings