86_force 50, and bayliner electric question

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
this 86 bayliner has a 50hp force.

question, on the battery leads, there is a large cable, goes to the starter.

then there is a red lead that goes to the motor, on the positive side of the electric screw box. where does the orange, generator wire go? i see it at the switch. wondering if this should go back to the battery? i am still having charging (lack of) issues with the motor.

thanks
dino

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 86_force 50, and bayliner electric question

Huh? orange is always overheat indicator. Is it possible that the red wire has faded?

At any rate, the main red battery positive cable goes to one side of the solenoid. The heavy red starter wire comes from the other side of the solenoid to the starter terminal. At the engine terminal board, a small gauge red wire enters the loom and goes to the circuit breaker. Then another small gauge red goes from the circuit breaker to the battery side of the solenoid. This is what recharges the battery---assuming you have an alternator and not magneto ignition. Magneto ignition does not have an alternator and will not charge the battery (or anything else).

dkonrai

frank,
so the smaller red gauge wire goes to the circuit breaker, the one inside the motor? so where does the generator wire go?
i am trying to trouble shoot why i have low voltage going to the battery. i get 12.7 volts on a fresh battery, while trolling, in about hours time, my fish finder low voltage alarm goes off (set at 11.5 volts). i have changed the rectifier, but still dont have the high voltage problems i have been reading about. even at half throttle, my volt meter only registers about 13 volts.
thanks
dino

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The two alternator wires connect to the A/C terminals on the rectifier. A black ground wire goes from the negative terminal to the block. the red wire comes from the pos terminal dowm through the wiring loom to the red terminal on the engine terminal board. another red goes from this terminal to the circuit breaker below the terminal board (on the larger engines. I forget where it is on the 50 HP.) And, of course, red in the cable goes forward to power the ignition switch.

13 volts is marginal for charging, usually 14 is better. BUT: remember that the alternator is only designed to replace starting current. It has nowhere near enough output to keep a trollon battery charged while the trolling motor is in use. Your trolling motor is drawing what? 30 amps? and the alternator AT BEST delivers 6. So yes, your low voltage alarm will sound after a bit of trolling.

I don't know how to check, but if the flywheel magnets are weak, then output voltage will be lower than usual. I don't remember the spec, but the alternator stator should be low resistance. A high resistance stator will also reduce the peak voltage.

dkonrai

frank
thank you very much for the great info!
dino