Carb. Problem????

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a 1996 polaris sl 700. The PWC works great except sometimes it stalls or sometimes I will hit the throttle and it goes nowhere or sometime while getting up to plane at low speeds it seems to miss.

I have changed all the filters twice, change the plugs all the time, changed the gas, and cleaned the carb with carb cleaner.

Could it be that the carb needs to be rebuilt. If so where can I buy carb kit.

I was also think maybe a spark plug wire???

After I ride I remove the spark plugs and clean them. There always black. Is this the way there supposed to look like after riding for a few hours?

MRCLEAN92626

Cadet
Re: Carb. Problem????

Carb cleaner isn't gonna do the trick. Sounds like you need a carb rebuild. I bought a used waverunner last season for dirt cheap, sounded great out of the water, but when I took it out for a test day it ran terribly and it was unpredictable. I took it to a mechanic and he said the carbs were so corroded with salt that had I brought it to the dealer they would have thrown them out and made me buy brand new ones. Fortunately, he cleaned them out, and the ski now runs perfectly. The labor did cost in the hundreds however.

I would find a reputable PWC mechanic in your area and bring it to him. I do the majority of repairs and maintenance myself, but anything internal IE carbs or engine work, I will bring to a pro. Good luck....