Celebrity 19'

taildragger21

Recruit
Hey guys.. This is my first post here so excuse my iggnorance.:D My wife and I have been looking into boat ownership. We have found a 94' celebrity 19' bowrider. It has a mercruiser 5.0 v8 and alpha one outdrive. The boat was bought new by the couple that currently owns it. The interior has been redone a couple of years ago. The paint on the hull is faded a little. The only thing that bothers me is they say they have let it set the last several years.I know leting anything set can be the worst enemy of somthing. However it still looks solid and they took it to a mechanic to have it gone though last year and took it out a few times last year no problems. I can buy it around 3200.00-3500.00. What do you guys think and is there anything I should know?? I hear celebrity is out of production but here they were quality boats. Will replacement parts be impossible to find?? This would be my first boat and I just don't like jumping in to somthing I know nothing about. I always here about the "best two days of a boat owner" I wanted to get into it with out a BIG expense. Hence me looking into cheaper older ones. But dont want some ones problems either and a "moneypit".Any advice??Thanks!!

mobetz

Recruit
Re: Celebrity 19'

Hello Taildragrer21, We bought a 1988 230 last fall. It had been sitting for five years in the sellers back yard. The owner said that it had been winterized, but when getting it ready for the next season,?five years ago? he could not get the engine to turn over. He thought the starter needed replacing because it would only click. And now it wouldn?t even do that. He said he never had anyone look at it for repair because of the cost at the marina . He just wanted it out of his yard after having it there five years as a lawn ornament. I checked it over and picked it up at a price one only dreams about. The interior needed a good cleaning and the motor cover need to be replaced. Visited iboats forum and learned from people there. Lots of good info and advice. We cleaned the interior, and built a new motor cover, replaced the water pump, fluids, plugs and such. (tune up) checked the bellows and gimbals assembly. Also found that the starter was good and it only required and new assist solenoid. We put her in the water this spring, ran it for a seven hour outing, and she ran great! Better than I had imagined. We took her back out the following week when the temps here hit the seventies again. and this time ventured out to Lake Michigan, and like the first time out, she ran great. We really love the boat. Response and handling is superb. This is also our upgrade from a 1970's Starcraft 16' runabout. Not a problem at all. Really more comfortable in this boat than the smaller. Looking forward to the boating season. While Celebrity boats are no longer in production, that is no big deal, and Mercruiser parts are not an issue. Are you able to take her for a test drive with her seller? Run her on muffs? I can only say we brought ours back from a 5 year sleep without knowing much about the boats history, other than the fact that we knew the seller and trust his credibility. We ran her on muffs a few times before taking her to the waters, and ours thus far has been a pleasurable experience.
Good luck.

Attachments

• Zoom Zoom.jpg
    Zoom Zoom.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0

Flipper1983

Cadet

I purchased a 1996 Celebrity 180 BR with a 4.3 liter mercruiser that had been sitting in a guys garage for 4 years without seeing the water. I could not pass up the price and picked it up. I had a mechanic come out and put in a new water pump and change the oil. I had to drain the gas tank change out the ball valve on the fuel line put a new fuel water seperator filter on it and clean out the carb bowls. This may sound like alot but it was only a few hours work and I just wanted to make sure she got fuel good and water pumped through her. With that being said this boat runs like a dream I do not regret my purchase at all. I have heard many times that the best two days in a boat owners life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. Well I tell you what I got alot damn days in between and cant wait for this Texas weather to straiten up and quit raining and blowing 25 to 30 on the weekends so that I can get back on the water. I cant tell you to buy it or not to buy it but the guy that replied before me his boat sat for 5 years and mine sat for 4 and were both happy.

Good luck
Richard

Attachments

• 1997 Celebrity 180.jpg
    1997 Celebrity 180.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 0

taildragger21

Recruit

Hey thanks guys! Really was helpful..;) Beautiful celebrity in the pic there!! We were goin to look at the boat last weekend but the weather was to crappy to take her out. Maybe next weekend..