Rewiring Prices

spacerust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just took my boat to the local marine shop to do a standard rewire on my boat. They gave my a estimate of $500 (labor 4-5 hrs @90/hr, wires, and misc.) I feel pretty confident in my mechanical skills and was wondering if I could do this myself at a considerably less cost. I just had the boat redone so no wiring is in place to use as a reference. I have a couple of gauges, power lift jack plate, bilge, and lighting.

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rewiring Prices

I feel pretty confident in my mechanical skills and was wondering if I could do this myself at a considerably less cost.

The question you should ask yourself is how confident are you in your electrical skills. Many people think they can run a couple of wires and hook them up but they lack the ability to be able to select the correct type, size and even color of the wire let alone the proper way to connect them. Fuses, panels and gauges are even more challenges that you will face.

If you decide you feel confident enough to try, there is more then enough knowledge floating around in this forum to help you out.

Durwood