wiring a Rule bilge pump

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
I am doing boat wiring for the first time so bear with me.

This is a new pump, automatic type. Old pump was standard turn on/off pump wired to the switch on/off at the helm. The boat does have a fuse panel under the steering console with open spots.

I want to wire this new pump so that I have an on-off-on switch at the console. It will be moored at the dock so I will want it switched auto-on with a capability for manual overide- a momentary on situation.

I have a 5amp inline fuse like the directions call for that I could install directly to the battery. But do I even need to do that if I can run the ON side of the switch to the fuse panel at the console?The schematic shows the inline fuse between the battery and the PWR pole of the switch, in this case the middle pole. Can't I run a wire from that pole to the fuse panel with a 5 amp fuse at that point?

If I need to run it directly to the battery what kind of battery connection do you suggest?

Thanks,
Joe

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: wiring a Rule bilge pump

Generally, the bilge pump would be on an automatic float switch for use when unattended and also have a manual activation on the dash. You wouldn't need a 3 position switch, simply the on-off.

The pump is wired hot from the float switch and from the switch, with a suitable ground.

Attachments

• BPD.gif
    BPD.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 0

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

this pump has the float switch integral to the pump itself.

I think from the schematic it shows hot wire from the pwr pole on the console switch directly to the + batt terminal, two remaining poles on the console switch go to auto and man on the wires on the pump, and remaining pump wire to ground.

Can I use the hot wire from the pwr pole on the console switch to the fuse block under the console? instead of running another wire all the way back to the battery itself?

If I have to go back to the battery, what kind of connector at the batt post do I use?

thanks
Joe

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

this pump has the float switch integral to the pump itself.

I think from the schematic it shows hot wire from the pwr pole on the console switch directly to the + batt terminal, two remaining poles on the console switch go to auto and man on the wires on the pump, and remaining pump wire to ground.

Can I use the hot wire from the pwr pole on the console switch to the fuse block under the console? instead of running another wire all the way back to the battery itself?

If I have to go back to the battery, what kind of connector at the batt post do I use?

thanks
Joe
yes you can run the power wire from the existing fuse panel just run the fuse size for whats recommended on the pump

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I decided to run the hot wire from the battery to the pump with integral float and run the other wires to the old switch on the dash. In this way I have continuous power to the pump plus ability to do a manual overide at the dashboard. I tested it and it works fine, much better pump than the old one too. Just that it took more water in the bilge area before the float operated that pump than I would have thought. Instructions show it takes 2.75 in. of water before the pump kicks on and shuts off at 0.5 in. of water remaining. Plus it is mounted on a small block maybe 3/8 in. so that adds to the 2.75 before kicking on.

Joe