• Yes , you need to post repair info

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No , the help is proper

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Having only been a member for close to a year I realize that I am still a "newbie" . I joined due to the fact that I had no spark from a 90 HP Mercury Sport Jet . I read so many posts of different fixes that I decided to get the manual , tools I needed and do it by the book and got quite an education on the electrical systems and updates unique to the Sport Jet . Since I went through the entire testing procedure for mechanical function , Fuel , Ignition and electronics I have helped 4 people with these motors get their boats on the water . However , I had each one call me for testing info as each fix is different and posting test by test would take weeks vs a 1 hr phone call . I have never posted results or anything concerning the post once I had been contacted by the owner . So here is my question :
Am I doing a dis service to the forum by not posting the info for each specific thread and the solution ?
Or since this is such a "unique" engine that is not too common am I doing the right thing by keeping people from throwing parts at an attempted fix?

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Right or Wrong ?

Is there some way you could come up with a generalized troubleshooting guide to help direct people closer to their problem? I mean honestly IMHO the people on this sight should have some basic troubleshooting ability so they know how and what questions to ask. If they want to go through that process by changing parts its their perogative, and no one on here is accountable for the advice they give. Its kind of a "buyer beware" type of service. If a person on here has no ability to troubleshoot, nor have any mechanical abilities.....they need to take the boat to a shop for repair.

Just my opinion.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well I wouldn't go as far as saying you're doing the forum a disservice, but I will say that the most helpful archived repair threads are the ones that have the problem, the solution, AND the results. We love it when an owner checks back in with the results.

fishrdan

Admiral

I think the person who received the help should post back as to what fixed their problem. Let them take the time to say... I ran test 123 and found XYZ to be bad, replaced the widgets and she runs great. They received the free help, so let the contribute back to the forum.

tallcanadian

Captain

Come on bucko, spill the beans. What goes around, comes around. lol. Some of us need all the help we can get.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is there some way you could come up with a generalized troubleshooting guide to help direct people closer to their problem?

I would do that if I knew that a mod would sticky the thread and close it so it would not get lost in the mix.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

just keep throwing your "2" cents worth out!
By the way are you havin fun yet???
Because thats what it is all about>!!!!!!!
Have fun.
ROB HAS SPOKEN. HAHAHA:D

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would do that if I knew that a mod would sticky the thread and close it so it would not get lost in the mix.

Sticky or no sticky you can always find what you need by doing a search.
The more available info out here the better.
My 2 cents.