free to me ski pylon - now i have to mount it

Hey y'all,
I was given a 38" ski pylon main post by a buddy of mine it is 1.25" stainless steel tube with 3/8" wall thickness on it (it seems as heavy as a lead pipe). It is plenty stout and I need to find a way to mount this to my boat. The outboard protrudes 15" above the deck and when you add an additional 6" for clearance that leaves an additional 17" than can go below the deck and be reinforced.

I would ideally like to find a way to mount this in the deck forward of the splash well with 2 or 3 connection points below the deck so that I would not need the additional 2 45 degree braces pointed back to the transom that the tripods have on them. FWIW my boat is an aluminum hull if that matters for the bracing.

Has anyone else ever redneck engineered something like this and if so how?

Thanks in advance

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: free to me ski pylon - now i have to mount it

Most of the time where I have seen those used with an outboard set up, they have three legs to the Pylon for a tripod. In my Glastron, there was a 42" main pole that had a round base plate into the flat floor below the splash well in front of the motor.

The installation required cutting a round hole in the splash well, but there was no support provided in the splash well. The main load was down the two rear legs which mounted to the rear deck.

113258818.jpg

324847123.jpg

My BIL has a newer outboard with a factory installed pylon. Similar base plate in the floor of the boat, but the pylon has no rear support legs. It passes through the deck just behind the back seat rest. There is a stainless plate with a snug fit to the pylon to support the pylon and distribute the load. Only about 12" of pylon above this top plate. Not great photos, but here are a couple.

267742755.jpg

Either way you need to support the top of the pylon enough to handle the loads put on it. Even so, I didn't use ours for pulling tubes unless the riders were really small and I was taking it easy.