How much control shift cable play is acceptable

shep247

Seaman
I'm still trying to diagnose my shift problem on my OMC 4.3 L engine converted to the SEI Alpha One drive.

Out of the water, I've got it shifting exactly to their specified 6" in FWD, 8" in REV and 7" in neutral. Last time I was on the water, it was actually not too bad in the beginning of the day, but gradually got worse throughout the day, as in I seemed to lose Neutral, and it was shifting directly from one direction to the other, and the ESA was getting harder to engage. From the posts I've read, and my general understanding of things, I see no reason why it should get worse like that without adjusting anything.

I've found that the helm control has a tiny bit of play in it. Tiny enough that I don't think that's the problem.

What does seem suspect to me, however, is that with the control handle locked in Neutral, I can grab the plastic end that connects the control cable to the shift linkage at the engine and move it about half an inch without the control handle moving, telling me that there's a half inch of play in that control cable. Does this mean its time for a new control cable, or is that half inch within spec?