Inside tire wear!!

ojoe86

Cadet
I just purchased a 1994 22ft deck boat all aluminum.. Feels pretty heavy behind my z71 but only has 1 axle and both tires are worn on the inside badly and the spare too!! any ideas y? boat to heavy? wheel bearings are good also...:confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Inside tire wear!!

All we know is you have an all aluminum deck boat that seems pretty heavy and that the trailer tires are worn on the inside. No boat name/model, no boat weight, don't know if it's an I/O or outboard, don't know how big (HP) the engine is, have no trailer weight capacity info, no tire size, and we can't see your rig so I think it's safe to say we have no idea what the problem is. Could be too much boat for too small a trailer or simply that a previous owner routinely snagged curbs going around corners and the spindles are bent. Get the rig weighed and then look at the tire sidewall for the maximum load capacity. Then look for an ID plate on the trailer tongue or somewhere on the frame that indicates what the trailer load capacity is with the size tires you have. Without data we simply can't help. You can pull a hub and check the spindle size. 1-1/16 inner and outer bearings means you have a 2000 - 2200# trailer. 1-1/16 outer and 1-3/8 inner bearing means you have a 3500# trailer but only if the springs and tires can support that load.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like a bent axle, likely caused by overloading the trailer. Take the advice above and have the rig weighed. Then determine what you need for axles, tires, etc.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My friend, I had the same trouble with my trailer tires, just look at this post with pictures for resolve your tire problem. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=376995
At first step you have to change your axle, If the one you`re using is a round tube you must have to move to a square one. Hope the link above help you.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Wall thickness and cross-sectional area determines axle strength. A 3500# axle is a 3500# axle and it doesn't matter whether it is round or square. There is no reason to jump to conclusions about a bent axle. Let's figure out what's wrong first. Weighing the rig is far cheaper than a new axle (which the trailer may already have a sufficiently sized axle) for it's rated capacity. Increasing axle capacity above 3500# means new hubs, bearings, tires, and springs which is not a economical alteration. Selling the trailer and buying one that is properly sized for the load is the best route to take if that turns out to be the issue.

ojoe86

Cadet

Sorry I should have put more info down. Till i get a chance to look at that stuff all I do know is the guy I bought it from said thats the trailer that came with the boat when new (single axle) and the wheels are 14 inch. Its 1994 Sun Cruiser with omc 3.0 inboard engine. Ill try to find more info when i get home.:(

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If both tires are wear inside same way then you have a bend axle, it could be for the axle itself or from overweith the trailer. If there is no ballbearing damage your hubs are fine. If different wear in both or just 1 tire check spindles..

rndn

Commander

Wall thickness and cross-sectional area determines axle strength. A 3500# axle is a 3500# axle and it doesn't matter whether it is round or square. There is no reason to jump to conclusions about a bent axle. Let's figure out what's wrong first. Weighing the rig is far cheaper than a new axle (which the trailer may already have a sufficiently sized axle) for it's rated capacity. Increasing axle capacity above 3500# means new hubs, bearings, tires, and springs which is not a economical alteration. Selling the trailer and buying one that is properly sized for the load is the best route to take if that turns out to be the issue.

Totally agree with Silvertip. We don't have the information required to make a good decision. With that said, if it is overweight for your trailer, bite the bullet and upgrade to a different trailer that is matched to your load. I spent 10 years with a boat trailer that was overloaded and I always had bearing and tire issues the entire time. I didn't go anywhere without hub and bearing kits and a spare tire. Knowing what I know now I would have gone to a better trailer, but back then I just didn't realize it was overloaded. I assumed that because the dealer sold the boat on the trailer, then it must be okay.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Just because the trailer was sold with the boat does not make it the right trailer. The boat manufacturer does not normally make the trailer and has no idea what trailer gets sold with the boat. Therefore the selling dealer puts the package together and in the process tends to provide a trailer that gets the boat sold -- which often times ends up being a marginal trailer just to keep the cost down.