check out my cracks! pics!

mariah555

Cadet
So I ended up ripping down my engine, and was surprised at how bad the cracks were in the motor. both the head and block have cracks in them, and here's the pics of the teardown. The head I'll have to replace, but I'm having trouble finding a head that's meant for my year (2005 Merc 3L). Is there anything special or different for the post 1990 fours? Also, for the block, I'm thinking my best bet is to jb weld it and test it. The head will be simple, but doing the whole block will be a pain in the *** and will cost a whole lot more. But the cylinders look fine, manifold looks fine too, so I'll try just the head for now.

How come the middle cylinders have darker intake valves? do the middle cylinders run richer then the outside ones?

...on with the pics!

Attachments

• IMAGE_249.jpg
    IMAGE_249.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAGE_242.jpg
    IMAGE_242.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAGE_259.jpg
    IMAGE_259.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAGE_255.jpg
    IMAGE_255.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAGE_253.jpg
    IMAGE_253.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: check out my cracks! pics!

Google Cummins 53 block crack. There is a method of drilling and screwing these things into the block over and over again on the distance of the crack. It is considered the best way to repair those affected blocks and it lasts forever if done right. You crack is small compared to some of the cummins blocks. Those blocks just crack for no reason as a faulty casting. Cummins should have been honoring replacements, but instead said F#$K the customers, your on your own.

Do not mig weld and do not jb weld. It will not work, you will waste your time.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, and for the darker valves, it is normal. On the inline 6 models it is even worse. Jeeps had an aftermarket multiport EFI kit to correct this and to make that 258 really make some well deserved power.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, hes talking about the "pinning" method. You drill a hole in the crack, screw in a pin and crack the remaining off. You then drill next to it taking out more crack and part of the pin you just put in and then so forth all the way down the line. I did this with one of my car engines about 5 years ago that had a crack in the lifter valley. 40K miles later no problems. You can pin heads too.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, pinning is the term. I forgot.

This is a perfect fix in every scenario I read about with the cummins block. It expands with the block, and will not weaken the surrounding area like welding does.

All the cost involved is labor, the pins and good drills can be had affordably. It is just very involved. You will spend 4-12 hours depending on your skill. Some of the cummins blocks required over 30 holes to be drilled from what I recall.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Just exchange it for a rebuilt long block. I replaced a 3.0L a couple summers ago and the long block came from USENGINE in Kent, Wa

They even took the cracked block as a core. They get them welded professionally and correctly.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Just a word to the wise... Anybody thinking about JB welding, epoxying, pinning, or even an old fashion torched cast iron weld.... Keep your eyes glued to the patch... check it everyday. Most patches will fail with time, you don't want it to be yours that fails. Look at it this way... if the patch fails, and you don't catch it, the boat sinks.

cr2k

Captain

The head gasket blown in the center would suggest a warped head and/or block.
which should be checked and decked.

Now you know the importance of winterizing.

mariah555

Cadet

where do you see the head gasket blown out? There were no rips or anything in the headgasket, that thing came out looking new, and I bought it like this, I didn't winterize it!

Bondo

Staff member

and I bought it like this, I didn't winterize it!

Ayuh,... Neither did the previou owner,... That's why you're dealing with a Cracked Block...

frwhlr38

Seaman

well guys i have a block that was jb welded 15 yrs ago still no leaks but we ground a grove in the crack filled it let it set up then went with a smooth layer over the top im not saying it will work on all motors but it has mine,thank god but i have a spare block just in case BILL

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you're right.....

It's like being saved by a "freeze" (core) plug popping out,

It sometimes works!

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Check out this massive repair. Yes it will work and has worked in many over the road trucks. If pining is done correctly, it is a permenant fix that will not recrack.

http://www.locknstitch.com/Repair pdf files/Custom truck with cracked 5.9 block.pdf

Oh, and if it does recrack, the boat will not sink unless you are an idiot. When you shut off the engine, the water will no longer spew out the block crack and the boat will not magically take on water. Yes it will be a inconvinece and will cost you a tow, but you will not die.

Bondo

Staff member

Check out this massive repair. Yes it will work and has worked in many over the road trucks. If pining is done correctly, it is a permenant fix that will not recrack.

Ayuh,... I ain't gonna argue the Pinning thing,... Of course it Works,... Usually...
But it's also Labor Intensive, which means ungodly Expensive...
For a $10,000. diesel block,... Maybe...
For a $100. 3.0l block,.... It just Ain't worth it...
Truth is, it's either Epoxy, or Replacement...

As for Pinning,...
It also matters, ALOT, just Where it's cracked...
A common place for 3.0ls, as well as SBCs is Just under the head, at the top of the block,...
Pinning such a thing going forces the blocks deck Up, causing a hi-spot on the headgasket surface..
Consequently, you can't keep a headgasket in the motor, without More machine work...
If it's down low in the water jacket, the jacket just ain't Thick enough to support the pinning process....

Pinning Works, but it's Not the Holy Grail, Especially in the applications We talk about here at iboats...