25 hp mercury wants to blow up

snike45

Cadet
:mad:I have a 97 25hp mercury 2 stoke that has been sitting for a while. I cleaned the carb, changed plugs, new fuel and tank. It would start if I choked it but then die right out. Finally it fired up and ran wide open , any suggestions. Thank You.

frwhlr38

Seaman
Re: 25 hp mercury wants to blow up

Could maybe be to much fuel in crankcase or throttle is sticking wide open if throttle is sticking try a little wd-40 where the buttryfly rod goes thru carb ive seen them gets sticky at times i always use wd-40 on mine aftera rebuild as everything is dry

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Could be the float or the needle sticking. When you cleaned the carb you should have put in a whole new carb kit, with the needle also, and new gaskets. Soak it on Seafoam, and spray it down with carb cleaner and good hard compressed air through all the passages. Then put it back together. Those carbs are tricky, any abnormality will cause it to go haywire. Needs good gaskets and free moving parts. Take it back apart and buy the kit, try it again. Don't run it til you do though, you may be running a lean mixture with that carb and could toast your motor. Also push your choke knob in all the way, then rotate the fast idle screw back out counter clock wise. Good luck and keep us posted.

snike45

Cadet

Hey thanks guys I did exactly what you said will and it started purring like a kitten my water pump is working but i can handle that. Thank you very much.