14ft vs 16ft Aluminum Boats

msrcarrera

Cadet
In terms of performance what are the differences between a 14ft and a 16ft aluminum boat? Several people have mentioned to me that a 16ft planes better, so is it an overall better performer? I originally was leaning towards a 14ft boat, but giving that I will be taking my wife and three small children, I am leaning towards a 16ft. I am also leaning towards a Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman 16ft. Any issues with visibility and a tiller engine? My hight is 6'1"

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 14ft vs 16ft Aluminum Boats

There's more to it than just planing ability. There are dozens of design issues that have an impact. Performance means different things to different people, besides.

A typical 14-foot aluminum boat will plane just fine with lower horsepower than a typical 16-foot boat. For some, the lower cost and lower fuel consumptions means that, for them, the 14-foot boat performs better.

A typical 16 foot boat has more capacity, and that means better performance for some.

The deep 16' boat you describe will handle better in rough water than a shallow 14 foot boat. That's better performance, too.

Design is the main contributor to performance, if what you mean by performance is speed alone. Other than that, there are few general things you can say if all you know is the length of the boat.

Expidia

Commander

I bought a 14 foot new because I tow with a Saab 9-5 sedan. Had to keep it under 1000 lbs. Motor, trailer gear etc.

I was also trying to keep the dollars spent lower. Originally looking for an $8500 used rig and wound up spending 13k.

But now from experience . . . if you have a tow vehicle absolutely get the 16, 17 even better. If using on the ocean minimum 18. The wider the boat the more stable it is. The things I miss on mine is that I would never buy another rig without a dual console so my passenger has a windshield too. I would never buy another boat without a built in gas tank.

I've owned boats with tillers. I personally would never buy another tiller. Especially with kids you want to be in quick reach of them. You on one end and them on the other is not a good thing. I would only get a side console as they will always be at arms reach.

I also would never get an outboard that is underpowered for the rig or one without electric start and power trim.

There is nothing wrong with a tiller for a fisherman as it frees up deck space. But for a family a side console is tops, because as the kids get older they will want to go tubing and it puts your weight in the center of the boat.

If money is an issue, get a few year old used rig for the same dollars you would spend on a new one.

You might want to look at a used Boston Whaler as it's a perfect all around rig for what you are going to be using it for and they are practically unsinkable and stable as hell with always great resale.

Just my two cents having owned 5 boats and now in the market for a 5th!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree with everything said above ^^^ 100%.

I recently upgraded from a 16' to an 18'. My 18 is bigger in every dimension than my 16'. There's a reason boaters get 2-foot-itis.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The difference between a 14 and 16 is night and day.

Get the 16.

Expidia

Commander

The difference between a 14 and 16 is night and day.

Get the 16.

Ya, the 14's are just tricked out utility boats. The 16's ande up are "real" boats!

But do your homework on comparisons between the models of the same length. Just because it's 16 feet there can be a world of difference. As an example, Lund shows 5 16 foot models in their 2010 line up. But two are 61 inches wide (the beam) and 3 are 71 inches. 10 inches wider in a boat is a huge difference for not only more room on board, but much better handling and stability.

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello,

I had a 16 foot lund, and used it primarily on Lake Michigan. It was a great boat, performed great, and even pulled skiiers. Nothing fancy, just an open boat, bench seats, and a 30hp tiller. BUT, it the weather picks up, things got interesting, so I upgraded to a larger boat. Since then, I have bought a cabin in the Upper Peninsula and wanted a boat for the inland lakes. I was kicking myself for selling the 16 foot Lund, but went ahead and bought the same boat in 14 foot form. Since then I have gained experience with both. I do agree with the above post that the differance is nite and day. The 16 is much much bigger and more stable. You would be disappointed with the 14 if you want to have 3 or more people on board and do anything other than sit at anchor in a perfectly calm pond. The 14 is definately lighter and handier though.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... This is typical 2footitiss....

Add 2' to any boat,+ it just works,+ rides Soooo Much Better....

dwco5051

Commander

Unless you have to carry it on your back 100 yards to the launch site go with the 16. 2 adults and 3 children take a lot more room than what the 14 has.

I take my neighbor and his 3 young boys fishing a couple of times a year on my 20' Nitro bass boat and sometimes wish it was 10 feet longer :)

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get what fits your budget, what your vehicle will tow, and what you feel most comfortable with.
I would have gotten a 16 but it was 5,000 more, my vehicle would not tow it safely, and it would not fit in the garage.

Don

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I started with a cartopper, them moved to a 16, then a 17, then a 19, etc. After 30 years boating I bought a second boat just for fishing, and just last year upgraded the old toy boat to a new Starcraft Seafarer with floor.

My new little 14 serves two of us very well, plus its easy on gas, I can launch it myself, it rows easy in small streams with shallow water. I jjst love the boat, and it gets more use than the other 3 in the fleet combined.

If I could only have 1 boat I guess it would be a 16. But that 14 sure is handy!

msrcarrera

Cadet

I am looking now at a Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman 16' with bench seats. You guys convinced me. My boat is going to be 16' and not 14'

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bigger and wider the better.
My 2 cents

Expidia

Commander

Great. One last tip . . what ever you buy make sure it has a floor. There is nothing worse than standing on the boat's ribs. It lets water slosh around the bottom of the boat too. And it's more dangerous for kids without a floor. I can't tell from the stock pics if that model has a floor.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Wife and 3 small children. You will outgrow the 14 foot boat quickly. The 16 footer will take a little longer to outgrow but I believe you will outgrow that too.

msrcarrera

Cadet

Good point regarding the floor. The boat I am looking does not have one. Where can I get a good "light" aftermarket floor?

Expidia

Commander

Did you ask the manufact. if they offer it after market? Are you buying new? You can ask this question under the restoration thread and they can tell you or just read some of the threads.

It's really not a big deal to do yourself if you are handy or have someone else do it for you. It's just marine plywood screwed into the ribs with stainless steel screws and some with some non slip vinyl glued over it. My last Sylvan utility boat came with a floor and it was great. The one before that was an older Starcraft and it was brutal with no floor. Absolutely never again with no floor :(