Hot air from pee hole

silentknight

Recruit
Hi All

I have a 1980 evinrude 15hp (E15BALCSD)
I recently managed to start it after many attempts and got water coming from the pee hole - i'm thinking GREAT !! - then the water stopped apart from the odd spit.
I could feel hot air coming from the pee hole after that. Then after a short time the engine stalled.
It then took me ages to start it again but it only runs for a short time then stalls. I could restart it but it was hard work
I am feeling i need to change the head gasket.
Am i on the right track or could it be something else

Many thanks

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hot air from pee hole

Check compression to see if engine damage is evident. Inspect/replace the water-pump. Check the thermostat as well. It probably needs a head gasket from the overheat and age. :)

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I would say you have 2 problems,one is likely a dirty carb and or fuel system,carb should be totally taken apart,soaked in cleanng solution and rebuilt.Next is your impeller is probably bad.Often those impellars will seperate from the hub,or just wear out over time.that is your starting point.Take the lower unit down by removing the 6 screws on the sides ,the lower will then pull down about 3/4 of an inch,at that point you will see a connector inside with 2 screws ,remove the one toward the lower unit and then pull lowerunit apart from the midsection,at that point at the base of the driveshaft will be your waterpump,held together with 4 screws ,remove them and lift cover,there you will find the impeller.Replace it,also check the plate it rides on for any grooves,if grooves are present get a new water pump kit.Turn your attention to the copper pipe that comes down from the powerhead in the midsection,you can blow water or air to insure it has NO blockages.Above that pipe is a rubber grommet that often collapses and blocks water flow,be sure it hasnt collapsed and thereby is you problem.You also have a thermostat under the rear cover on the head ,it has 8 screws,the thermo might be stuck,you can remove it and place in cold water ,then hot and see if it operates ok,Impeller is a maint part and should be changed in my opinion yearly for that eng,as i say ,i does seperate after time,i saw far too many to believe it should go a long time .Laying up an engine is more serious then use on an impeller,they dry out and take a shape while sitting.Before taking the head off to change head gasket,do a compression test,if the readings are whithin 10-15 lbs,run the engine and see how it operates.Your head should be last on your list checking the pumping.

Rick.

Captain

Don't run it anymore until you have the water pump working. You could be doing a world of hurt to it with repeated overheating. Best of luck. Rick.