adhering wood to glass

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
So I'm rebuilding my radar arch. The wood inside it was rotten and I cut new pieces and will be putting them in tomorrow. I'm going to lay them in with resin and lay mat or cloth over the top. I've done some glass work in the past, but never involving wood. Just wanted to check with you experts. Is there anything special resin I need to pick up, or will regular old fiberglass resin work ok?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/nitsujcbr/Someday/2010-04-09120604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: adhering wood to glass

I think in this case, since you want to adhere the wood to the glass, I'd go with epoxy as it has better adhesion than poly. You will most likely have to order it as the stuff they sell at the home improvement stores is typically poly.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just make sure your new wood has been sanded with 36 or 60 grit to help with the bite of the poly and make sure the wood is dry. Encapsulating damp wood is not a good practice. The poly resin will do fine and actually your first layer of glass should be csm.

If you could set up a vacuum bag system ....it will last forever ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

And this would be why I don't post to glass threads. I have no idea what I'm talking about. But, in my defense, no one had assisted you yet and at least I got your thread bumped up :p

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the help guys. Let me back up a bit. You say poly will be fine. Is Poly just the standard fiberglass resin available at any auto parts or auto body supply store? I had planned on thinning some, then applying it to to the wood to seal it. Then apply some more and insert the wood into the radar arch to adhere it.

And yes, the wood is dry. Thanks!

Downwindtracker2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Polyester resin is the standard stuff. Epoxy is easy tell,it's expensive. The poly/wood bond is good so long as the wood remains dry.But wet with flex,it will delaminate,as I learned the hard way. BTW polyester is always in a state of harding,the mix just speeds it up,so the fresher the better.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And this would be why I don't post to glass threads. I have no idea what I'm talking about. But, in my defense, no one had assisted you yet and at least I got your thread bumped up :p

no worries enzombee(ezmobee never realized it wasnt enzombee till now) when I first started reading I thought he was trying to glue glass (like the stuff in the windshield) to wood.:eek::rolleyes: some ones gotta be first.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thanks for all the help guys. Let me back up a bit. You say poly will be fine. Is Poly just the standard fiberglass resin available at any auto parts or auto body supply store? I had planned on thinning some, then applying it to to the wood to seal it. Then apply some more and insert the wood into the radar arch to adhere it.

And yes, the wood is dry. Thanks!

Do not thin it.... Just apply the first layer with CSM and it will effectively seal and stick.

been reading your threads about coating wood to make it waterproof. my project is massive and i need to get it right the first time. i am going to replace the intire upper deck of a cutter. boat is 27ft and top deck is 20 ft. i will be laying down 5 sheets of 3/4 marine plywood or maybe just exterior stuff from home depot. voids in wood is a concern because deck is walked on like a house boat. anyway, it all must be made water tight and i want it to last longer than factory stuff. in 1973 they used plywood capped with lenolum looking stuff with woven fabric in it to reinforce it. white with solid black lines to make it look like 3 in. wood decking. i need ideas on what you out there would do. this cutter is 8 ft. wide so have a lot of area to deal with. where the plywood butts togather there will 8 ft. seams. i will copy the way factory layed down their plywood hoping there will be joices to attach to. to make it weather proof i must use epoxy or poly maybe with glass. any new space age new stuff out there? how do i keep the seams from cracking when walked on. what do you all think about tungue and groove plywood? is there anyone out there that has done anything like this? i read on another section about Durabak deck covering and herculine deck covering. anyone have experence with this stuff. any comments or ideas welcome. dennis.