over heat alarm..where is best place to get one?

SparkieBoat

Captain
I need to replace an over heat alarm, but I am having a hard time finding them online. Where is the best place to get one at the best price? I want a good one though, so I am looking for best over all value, not just the cheapest one out there.

D

DJ

Re: over heat alarm..where is best place to get one?

Tell us what you are working on?

SparkieBoat

Captain

its an 95 Sea Cat, that had twin 95 70s on it, but I am repowering, one of the over heat horns went bad and it just happened to be the one for the motor that over heated:(..I have both sides running to the good one for now, but I want a new one and I will wire them together so that both of them go off if either motor over heats. I have check several of my friends boats also and found a lot of not working horns. They all look about the same to me, I thought they were kinda generic.:)

D

DJ

OK, you HAD twin 70's. What are you repowering with?

SparkieBoat

Captain

just got back in town...I am probably going to repower with 115s or 150/175s.
Are the over heat alarms different??

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would get the engines first. What are you doing for controls , wiring harness, and Tach. Yes the horns are different.

SparkieBoat

Captain

Using same controls and Tachs

clanton

Rear Admiral

Depends on what you have now, and what year Johnson/evinrude you are getting. Wiring harness was changed in 1995, and your 70s could have pre 95 harness or later harness. Pre 95 Had round red connection at engine.

SparkieBoat

Captain

its the round red plug style and that is what I will be going back with..I am not concerned with oil alarm or any of the other alarms..just over heat..All the ones That I have seen look the exact same, thats why I figured they were generic. I want a dependable buzzer that will buzz loudly when the over heat wire is triggered by the sensor.

clanton

Rear Admiral

You want self test horn?

SparkieBoat

Captain

yes i would like self test horn..but not nessasary, I have seen the beep when the key is turned on but not go off when overheat wire is grounded.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The BRP selftest horn has the logic buildt into the horn, or logic in a black box and both pricey. Some BRP tachs have the logic. If you want cheap horn no selftest, 12 volt horn from radio shack works fine. If you are hearing inpared, can connect red light at same time. You want selftest, wire in push button for push to test. You want it to play a tune, 12 volt door chime. hehehe.

I would look for flashing led red light and horn.