Can't keep prime on water. Poppit valve?

code90

Cadet
On 1992 Evinrude 125, running hot at idle. Cools nicely at high RPM. When first started, it takes a long time to pump water. Even if just turned off for a minute, seems to take too long to get water to pump through tell-tale. I know replacing the water pump is first, but is there anything keeping the prime or keeping the water in the motor? I read about a poppit valve but can't find it on the parts diagram or in Clymer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can't keep prime on water. Poppit valve?

replace the water pump. if you want correct info. buy the original OEM Evinrude manual. Clymers are used when changing lower unit oil. use to catch the dripping oil, so it does not stain the driveway.

your motor will drain everytime you turn it off,=.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

On 1992 Evinrude 125, running hot at idle. Cools nicely at high RPM. When first started, it takes a long time to pump water. Even if just turned off for a minute, seems to take too long to get water to pump through tell-tale. I know replacing the water pump is first, but is there anything keeping the prime or keeping the water in the motor? I read about a poppit valve but can't find it on the parts diagram or in Clymer.

As aid the motor drains every time it stops. If the water pump is an unknown to you then it should be serviced.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Poppet valve is a Merc thing. These motors don't have one.