1988 Force 85hp/ will not fire

jsv1973

Recruit
Have good gas pressure and spark but it seems that the motor is not getting any gas. if i spray a little starting fluid in it it will fire. is there a possibility of an internal gas line blockage/filter problem?

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Force 85hp/ will not fire

First thing DON"T use starting fluid,it has no lubricating qualities what so ever. When you say fuel pressure do you mean out of the fuel pump? If so, what is the pressure??Has the fuel pump diaphragm ever been replaced, how about the check valves? What started this problem,give us some history so we can help you,and we will to the best of our ability get you going again, but you've got to help us help you. Post some history

jsv1973

Recruit
Re: 1988 Force 85hp/ will not fire

Ok. I do not the exact psi that I am getting. I squeeze the bulb and the pressure remains constant. I have only had the boat for 2 seasons and have no idea what has been replaced other than the water pump 1yr ago. Over the winter I had a full tank of gas with the proper amount of fuel stabilizer added, so I know its not the gas. 2 weeks ago before I brought to the lake, I put the earmuffs and hose on it and it started right up. When I got to the lake, it would not start. It turned over easily, but would not fire. I checked the safety kill switch and made sure that I had good spark on all three cylinders (all my plugs are new). When I removed the gas hose from the intake on the side of the motor gas sprayed out of the hose, but did not come out of the motor. I reomved the filter at the intake on the motor and it appeared very clean. The boat is a 1989 Bluefin Sportsman 19'. Has a built in tank, but since it has the hose bulb I am not sure if it does have a fuel pump. I only tried the starting fluid once to see if it would fire (I know how rough the fluid is on 2 stroke motors). If there is anything else you need to know to help me let me know because I NEED help. Thanks