Four Winns Transom Cut Out

Hi There, I am looking for a replacement motor and drive for my 1991 Four Winns Horizion 200. I am taking out a 351 and the king cobra cone clutch drive. Looking to replace a 350 chevrolet with a mercruiser drive.

Has anyone done this swap without having to do work on the transom? From what I have read I believe that by this year many of cut outs from OMC had been standardizes to fit Mercruiser since they wanted to get some share from them and offer boat manufactures the option of using OMC? Dont mind changing motor mounts and the other work etc.. Just don;t want to touch the transom if I dont have to?

Thanks

Noe

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Four Winns Transom Cut Out

Howdy,

I thought you already asked that question......

Anyway, it's the same. If you get a GEN II Mercruiser, you'll have to drill 2 additional holes for the 8 studs in the Merc transom mount....But that's no real problem. The Cobras have had the same cut-out since the first ones in 86.

You should however carefully check the transom for water intrusion. Four Winns wasn't very careful sealing up the wood back there.
I drilled a hole near the transom drain on mine and water ran out for several seconds....

It took me several weeks to dry mine out and finally seal it. I was very lucky that I didn't have any rot.....

Cheers,

Rick

cr2k

Captain

If you are not sure you can take a C clamp and just squeeze the transom and see if any water gets expelled around the cutout.

Ok now i get it. So this means I can get the SEI like the one in the link below which is the similar to the genII , get a used 350 from a doner boat or buy the motor, buy the assembly parts, drill the holes and I am set. Besides checking the transom etc.. (Not that easy but in a nutshell)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERC...1778876QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Thanks for the tip

Saludos

Noe

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Um, Yeah. That about sizes it up.

You'll need to find a good used Mercruiser transom mount and transom plate and power steering stuff and Y-pipe, (unless you want to go "thru-hull") ........there's always several on ebay, new and used...........

You'll also need the trim pump and trim actuators, hoses etc... Your steering wheel and cable should work. You'll also need new throttle/shift cables. (different for OMC vs Merc)

The best way is usually to find a donor boat with the "stuff" you need. This is the time of year when all the cracked blocks come out to play depending on where you are!!