1977 Evinrude 9.9 hp slipping out of gear

sploosh56

Recruit
My engine runs great, but at WOT it will slip out of gear into neutral and send the rpm's out of control. If I hold the shift lever down the motor will not slip out. I'm fairly knowledgeable with small 2-stroke outboards, but I cannot get this problem fixed. I took apart the lower unit to inspect the gears, but I cannot figure out how to get the forward gear out of this particular lower unit. Does any one know how to remove the forward gear? Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the problem? Thanks

Ryan

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1977 Evinrude 9.9 hp slipping out of gear

Might be out of adjustment or clutch dog, I have the adjustment procedure but it's for the newer motors.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Bad clutch dog, had the same problem onmy 9.9 when I had it.

The ears on that are suppose to be square, rpe[lace that and I bet your problem goes away.

6hpboat

Banned

I save them with a pencil grinder. Find a grinding tip that fits in the grove and straiten out the edges.

I saved a 20hp and a 35hp johnson this way.

Rick.

Captain

Just wondering. Did you have the leg off the motor just prior to the gear problem showing up? If yes then probably it will be an adjustment to the length of the shifting rod. If no then I agree the dog is the problem. Some have simply removed the dog and put it back in with the worm part facing the reverse gear. Not really a bad way to go IMO as I never run mine in revers very fast or very long. I would strongly suggest you get a factory service manual. Check out this ling for a parts break down of your gear case. Best of luck. Rick.
http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=723f19ea-9f58-48ca-9bdf-1c9d9d0e6b68

sploosh56

Recruit

I had to purchase a different lower unit when I bought this motor, because the guy that ran it before me didn't have any oil in his gear case. I've been wondering if the problem might be just the shift rod.

I just got home from class so I'm going to head out to the garage and take a look. My boat is 10 minutes away and it's a pain in the butt to keep brining this motor back home.

Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to take a look at them.

Ryan

Duelfuel

Cadet

Just posted a different thread on this exact topic with the same motor. Thought I'd give this thread a bump. Some of the links here are don't work...