nonwinterized 5.0 Merc-what to expect to be cracked?

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an chance to buy a 5.0 Merc that wasn't winterized properly. What is the worst case? I can think of engine and heads, but do manifolds usually crack also? As for the lower unit can anything else besides impeller housing be damaged?

Last edited:

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: nonwinterized 5.0 Merc-what to expect to be cracked?

block mostly is what I think would be worst case...I would not think manifolds would crack, maybe heads and gear case could if it had water intrusion from bad seals.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Engine block, heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, & risers, oil coolers, heat exchangers, outdrive, bellhousing (find post with pictures) anything with water in it.

gofastcrazy

Seaman

ALL OF IT!!!!! i am replacing it now.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Source a reman or used engine and just swap it in. All of it is probably cracked. Outdrive usually survives so I am told from our local shop.

I looked into buying some of these boats and asked around and there are too many unknowns for me. So I passed. What you do is what you feel comfortable with.

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Of all the things the outdrive would be my biggest concern. If the boat is OUT of the water what can crack on the outdrive besides impeller housing? The rest of the OD is self draining I thought.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

You just have to look over the entire engine and drive and hope fo rthe best when you crack it on muffs for the first time. Most likely you are SOL.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Unless the price is like they are giving it away why with all the boats out there would you want to get into all that work (new engine long block...manifolds...risers...talking 4-6K by the time it's installed) then you have to hope no water froze in the lower unit if it was left up...and the power steering cooler could be split...I wouldn't touch it if you want to buy a boat you will be using this season....

PS outdrives do self drain...but they have to be left DOWN like an outboard to do so...if left up there can be enough water in the exhaust passage to cause a problem if it can't expand....