Fuel primer bulb replacement

swalk1982

Cadet
I have a 1990 Johnson 150GT model # J150STLESB I want to replace the fuel line from the tank to the engine and also replace the primer bulb with an oem, and place it outside closer to the engine instead of under the seat by the tank. My question is when I go to boats.net or any other website and try to look it up, I cannot find it listed for that model #. All the other 150 models of that year have it listed under the gas tank section, but there is no gas tank section for my model. Will the other model #'s primer bulb work or is it a different size or something?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Fuel primer bulb replacement

I would think any 3/8 primer bulb would work just fine. I use 3/8 transmission fluid line from local auto parts store for fuel lines, its very thick and durable.

You might have a hard time getting the bulb to pump if you locate it more than a foot or two from the tank. They are meant to push fuel, not pull it. On a motor that size you shouldn't need to prime the carbs unless you run the motor dry anyway.
Don't use the tranny fluid lines recommended above. They're not alcohol resistant. Go to a marine dealer an get some of the new quicksilver 3/8 hose. It's the best, you'll be happy in the end.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You might have a hard time getting the bulb to pump if you locate it more than a foot or two from the tank. They are meant to push fuel, not pull it. On a motor that size you shouldn't need to prime the carbs unless you run the motor dry anyway.
Don't use the tranny fluid lines recommended above. They're not alcohol resistant. Go to a marine dealer an get some of the new quicksilver 3/8 hose. It's the best, you'll be happy in the end.

My bulb is a couple of feet from the motor in the well with about 8 ft the other side to the tank. No issues at all over the years.