mercruiser alpha 1 coupler assempby problems

mend212

Cadet
my coupler assembly burned out we replaced it went out on the water and it burned out again. does anyone have any ideas what could lead to this problem?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercruiser alpha 1 coupler assempby problems

Bad engine alignment, bad engine bed stringers., input shaft wrong. Just how hard was it to get the drive back on.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you were able to get the drive bolted in, I bet your engine is torquing out of alignment when on the throttle.

I am just going to assume you replaced the shaft at the same time you did the coupler right?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just a guess here, but I bet you never pulled the outdrive to change the coupler did you?

Bondo

Staff member

does anyone have any ideas what could lead to this problem?

Ayuh,... My guess is, it involves Rotten Wood....

mend212

Cadet

that was the first replacement ever and it was a pain in the *** gettin the drive back on! it went out fri and we took it off today. we were wondering if alignment had something to do with it and it seems to be the consensus here! stringers are fine and wood seemed ok but ill check it just in case. when puttin the drive back on it should slide in smoothly and all the way in?

mend212

Cadet

should it be professionally aligned?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remove the orings from the shaft and yes it should slip in all by hand unlike my sea ray. If it slides in all the way by hand, pull back off and put the o-rings back on. From what I gather here, new o-rings can make it hard to get in all the way even when lubed properly.

I also assumed you greased the splines right?

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

The drive should slide in all the way smoothly.

HOWEVER, you really should use the alignment tool to verify the alignment BEFORE putting the drive in.

Especially since you are pulling the motor, and 2 since the reason you pulled the motor was due to a failed coupler (which frequently is caused from a bad alignment).

ken_23434

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can do the alignment yourself, but you need the tool. You can order them online for about $50 and higher. It's basically a long metal bar that is machined to specific diameters at certain points. It's all covered in the service manual.

You are using a Mercruiser service manual, right? Not a Clymer or other off brand from the local boat store? Genuine mercruiser book only...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should also replace both rear engine mounts. They go bad, but are hard to see as badl and make sure all the hardware is under the mounts like it's supposed to be. Then align the engine with an alignment bar. or get a pro to do it if you can't.
If you don't do it right, you will keep replacing couplers after every trip. Wow, does that sound like fun or what.
An alignment bar costs less than 1/4 of a coupler.

mend212

Cadet

thanks for all the help here guys! we do have an alignment bar and i might as well change the mounts while im there! thanks guys and ill keep u posted as to how good it works!

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

you have a alignment bar and did not use it?

cr2k

Captain

Wow that makes this free forum kinda pricey huh?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

search alignment here....

a few weeks ago.....one of our guys posted a video of proper alignment.

do some more reading here....

also what kind of coupler is it?....a triangle?....are the rubber pads there?

mend212

Cadet

not a triangle. and what rubber pads!

Bondo

Staff member

not a triangle. and what rubber pads!

Ayuh,... You've done Nothing to identify just What We're working on,... Other than Alpha 1..

If your coupler isn't triangular in shape, it Don't have the rubber isolation pads...

mend212

Cadet

actually i didnt specify all that because i had the right parts and we installed everything. we just failed to align it and it went out again. we basically forced the drive back. after checking and going over everything we are sure it was the lack of proper alignment! the pic is basically what went out.

Attachments

• BPI11500.jpg
    BPI11500.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

Remove the orings from the shaft and yes it should slip in all by hand unlike my sea ray. If it slides in all the way by hand, pull back off and put the o-rings back on. From what I gather here, new o-rings can make it hard to get in all the way even when lubed properly.

I also assumed you greased the splines right?

When I put my drive back on, after an alignment check, it went in almost effortlessly.
Just slap new o-rings on and put it in:D